Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

when did everyone start to get *good* at racing?

Old 09-25-2002, 01:14 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when did everyone start to get *good* at racing?

I'm just curious. I got my first kick in the teeth at my last race day. Granted it was only my 3rd race (autocross) day in my whole life, but...

I ran a best of a 98.1 in my IS3 (regional San Diego class, between Stock and SP) 1991 CRX Si. I ran the car exactly as I brought it...with the H&R OE Sport springs, Tokico blues, slotted rotors, and an otherwise bone stock CRX, rolling on stock 185/65R14 street tires.

Now, here's the kicker. All the experienced guys were running cars like 87 CRX's, 90 CRX's, 87 civic Si's, and the like...basically, cars very much equal to mine, in Stock, or at the most IS3, like me. And they were all running 86.5 or better times. Only a couple of em were on full-on slicks, most of em were on just stickier-than-normal street tires (Falkens, Kumhos, etc).

I know these guys have been running for 3, 4, or more years, but I can't help but wonder how long it'll be before I'm runnin with the kickassers in the group So, on to my question...when did everyoen really start to feel skilled at their driving? thanks
Old 09-26-2002, 03:37 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

It's really variant. I know one guy who started autocrossing in his Street Mod turboed Civic Ex this year. He is 18/19 years old. I met him in January and it was his first FIRST autocross.

He attended the Evolution School (Phase I & II) with us in April. And after that he went to the National Tours, ProSolos and every autocross within a 2 hour drive. He actually beat one of our BEST regional drivers in his 1991 CRX Si (our regional driver has a fully prepped Neon for GS).

I've been autocrossing for about 6 years and started getting serious in 1999 in my 1988 CRX Si. I took my first NOvice School in May 2000, and Evolution school in April 2002. I was asked to be an instructor this year due to my skyrocketing times, and since I'm also an instructor for TKD (so I have the skills).

I think it's really all dependant on how much seat time you get. AJ (newbie 18/19 year old) went to an autocross almost every weekend since April til now. Luckily his father supported him and went with him too.

The more seat time you get the better off you will be. He would also stay afterwards and do "fun-runs" with us until dark.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:18 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

It took me about a year to start getting very comfortable going fast and being competative. Development as a driver really is 99% a combination of seat time and being comfortable in your car and what it can do, the more seat time you can get without getting frustrated or burnt out, the faster you will develop your skill and comfort.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:32 AM
CivicSiRacer

Yeah that's the other thing being comfortable with your car. I see all too many people doing mods to their car and get frustrated with (what they think is) their car, but it's actually them doing too many mods changing the cars characteristics too often.

Keep it as is and learn with your car for a year or two.

For example I drove someone else's 1986 Civic Si in my class. I'm used to braking real late - late enough to make you tighten your sphincter I did the same braking in his car and his car wasn't slowing down Overshot the turn but still kept it on course.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Mugenlude

Location: Lower Wisconsin Car: Black '97 Prelude Chicagoland Prelude Club

I started getting competitive around my 12th event... you need more seat time that is all...
Old 09-26-2002, 08:29 PM
AwwsChwA

thanks guys
Old 09-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

I would recommend going to a novice auto-x school...it's tough to get seat time when there's only 3-4 1 minute runs at each auto-x. Plus I'm the impatient type

Shingo
Old 09-26-2002, 11:07 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

I'm not the best driver, but I did improve my time with a volunteer guy they had, hes a prett yncie guy and taught me many new facets of autocrossing. When to gun it, when to brake, and how hard to turn. I improved and lost about 1-2 second even with him in the car Free instructing how can you beat that :exnbp:
Old 09-27-2002, 03:13 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
I would recommend going to a novice auto-x school...it's tough to get seat time when there's only 3-4 1 minute runs at each auto-x. Plus I'm the impatient type

Shingo
Right some regions don't have an option to do fun runs, our region you can do 2 other heats (besides your competition and your working heat) to do fun runs. Then afterwards if you are a member of our region we do "Run til Dusk" type runs where you just keep running until you or your car dies
Old 09-27-2002, 07:51 AM
D16ROCKET

We are very fortunate down here. Average monthly turnout...........20 cars. Start time 1200......end time 400pm. And that's only because after getting 8-9 runs in, your car and you start to feel the effects. Plus we also have one of the landing strips open (just over a quarter mile long) to wind the cars out....test and tune I guess. Pretty nice arrangement.

Quick Reply: when did everyone start to get *good* at racing?