Notices

Red Learning key

Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
MrT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Learning key

Hello all, I have a 1999 acura rl this morning I was in a hurry and could not find my keys, then I remembered I had a Red key stored. I attempted to use this key in the ignition and it would not start, I found all the other keys for the car but now they do not work either. The dealer told me it will cost $500.00 to fix plus the towing costs. Anyone know of a cheaper way to fix this ?. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
J Lude

i think you have to bring it to honda for them to reprogram the immobilizer.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Mkazm83
Snapping bolts

There is a reason why the package say's to never use that key, now, You're at the mercy of the dealer.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:39 PM
prelude1897

Originally Posted by Mkazm83
There is a reason why the package say's to never use that key, now, You're at the mercy of the dealer.

exactly...You never use the RED key unless if you've lost all your other keys and you need to make a copy
Old 07-08-2006, 10:10 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrT
Hello all, I have a 1999 acura rl this morning I was in a hurry and could not find my keys, then I remembered I had a Red key stored. I attempted to use this key in the ignition and it would not start, I found all the other keys for the car but now they do not work either. The dealer told me it will cost $500.00 to fix plus the towing costs. Anyone know of a cheaper way to fix this ?. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you
if you used the Red learn key the green immobilizer light will flash very fast. as it's in learn mode usally it will flash fast for 1 minute or so but in that window DO NOT put any other of your 3 already programed keys into the ignition and try to start the car if you do it will erase all the other keys .

do you have both of your black master and 1 grey valet key ? if do verify those keys see if the immobilizer light turns on and goes out like normal also does the starter spin ? or does the engine just spins ?

if all 3 keys (still learned) + learn key is present you can try this
label the keys 1-3 then put the red key is turn the ignition on (don't start) and off the immobilizer light should flash fast. put key #1 in turn it to on and off immobilizer light should flash fast still . put the red key back in and turn on ignition again ,now the immobilizer light should flash slow (learn mode) put the key #1 back in and turn to the ignition on again and off the immobilizer light should blink 5 times . now try to start the car with that key if it works then I'll tell you how to get the rest of the keys working again if not repeat with key #2 if not working #3 but one key should allow it to start unless there was more then 3 keys learned.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:01 PM
MrT

Thank you for the information, I only recieved one master key, a copy (not acuca original) plus the learning key. The original will not turn the engine over but the copy will. The Master key was inserted into the ignition immediatly after the red key. I have tried to reprogram the keys per your instructions but unfortunatly they still do not work. I appreciate any other advice you may have.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
stereo

the problem is you don't have the 1st key used after the red when they programed it at the factory but since it will crank and not start on one of the key the dealer ship or a locksmith should be able to rewrite the immobilizer unit by using the red key and the key that will turn the engine over then add the one that doesn't so $500 is bs because they don't need to replace the immobilizer module . are you in no cal ?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
MrT

Hello Stereo, we took your advice and contacted a locksmith Slim Jims Locksmiths in Nor California, they had the car started in 10 minutes. The dealer I bought the car from (not acura) paid to have it done. Really appreciate all your help. Thank you very much
Old 07-12-2006, 09:46 AM
stereo

any time glad it worked out for you it's funny that the dealer would say you need to replace the immobilizer module because of using the red key either they don't know anything about honds or just want to sell you a $200 immobilizer unit + labor to cut and program keys . the only reason I know about the manual programing procedure is through a year of trial and error but never had a car with the 1st learned key to verify if it will work and dumping the EEPROM out of the ecu and immobilizer unit . because I refuse to pay $150-200 for some to start my car 3 times!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
nustarzent

Default My lost key

Hey stereo
How are you? You seem to be very knowledge about this key stuff. Ok so here is my problem i lost the only key that i have to my 1999 Aucra RL3.5 can a lock smith or someone make me a key without having to tow my car to the dealer and spend over 500 dollars? If you have an answer pleas let me know. Oh i have to mention that i dont have the red key either.
Thanks