Notices

'98 Accord EX 2.3 liter - Dies when hot outside?

Old 06-26-2006, 09:44 PM
technoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Accord EX 2.3 liter - Dies when hot outside?

Hi all:

I have a '98 Accord 2.3 liter engine, EX and the problem I am having is two things that may be related.

First, it has a harder time starting as the temperature of outside increases. Have to wait to cool down a bit before it can successfully start again as well if it's already run once. Second, it dies more often as well when it becomes warmer and warmer outside.

When it's going, it runs fine, idle is smooth (does not become erratic). No real specific hints as to what it could be to me, meaning it is random when it happens (cornering, going straight, slowing down, accelerating, braking, it does not matter).

I've heard the IAC valve could be a cause for this, as they say the IAC is prone to more failure as it gets hotter. What other items should I be testing/looking at that could cause the car to become difficult to start or die randomly as the outside temperature becomes hotter? Thanks.

(edit: No check engine light has ever come on as well, thanks.)

Last edited by technoman; 06-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

sounds like you have a bad MAIN RELAY, when it gets REALLLY HOT it cause the connection to go bad, it controls your fuel.

Location for the 98, 99, 00, 01 Accord

How do I get the main relay out?

Steps: four ways below so you can get it out. First you have to reach high up in there and do all this with one hand and a flashlight.

A. Unbolt the bolt using a 10mm socket (picture A) or
A/B. Unclip the clip from the steel tab and slide it apart (picture A) or
B. Separate the steel tab from the plastic case (picture B) with a large flat screw driver jam and twist between the plastic case and the tab or
C. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Unclip two clips I pointed with two arrows (picture C, or below) with a small flat head screw driver or with a strong thumb and then yank it out (D.) This is the preferred choice by many. Mechanics prefer choice A and maybe B. See detailed relay photo.

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelaydefine.php

INSTALLATION
  1. Installation is the reverse of the procedure.
  2. It isn't required to install onto its original location. Move it to a cooler practical location. Eg., away form heat ducts, vibrations or from higher locations. And future troubleshooting would be far easier, considering that the next technician will be able to locate it.

Last edited by v6_accord_jerz; 06-26-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
technoman

Ahh. I've heard of that before. Thank you very much for the advice and diagrams; they help out tremendously. I'll have to try replacing that and seeing if it cures the issue.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

sure no prob....check it out n let us know if that fixes it
Old 07-16-2006, 04:28 PM
oholdeno

i'll need mine replaced as well. is it right next to the steering column? how do i remove the plastic covering below the wheel?