Notices

AC condenser

Old 06-23-2006, 09:44 PM
mohsinkhan35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC condenser

My car's ac wasnt working. today i put some freon while my ac was turned on and then suddenly this white smoke comes underneath of my condenser. mechanic told me that my ac condenser is busted. i want to know how hard is it to install for honda accord 92 ex and secondly how do i know if my car's ac compressor is fine. u know i dont wanna pay for nothing when compressor is not working.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 AM
fstop128

which freon did u put in it? u take r12 if u have not converted it. u cant put in the currently used freon r134. they r not compatiable.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:15 AM
mohsinkhan35

well it was mechanic who put it in. and suddenly white smoke came out under condenser and i could see a little bit of anti freeze ( i dont know for what reason it was there because car's radiator is not leak). So i dont know which one he put. but even though if he had put r12, it would have escaped wouldnt it?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:24 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

R12 is very hard to come by now a days, as its pretty much obselete. As far as I know, only a few A/C specalists keep it around for much older equipment, other than that, people without a license to use it cant buy it.

If the system has a leak, then there is a good chance that all the pre-existing coolant has escaped, weather it was R12 or R134. The condenser is pretty easy to change and can be found rather cheap, Im pretty sure the front bumper has to come off to change it, but thats easier than it sounds.

As for your compressor, you'll have to fix the leak and test the system... the only way to tell if its working is... well, if it works and is not overly loud.

A/C systems are pretty touchy, and if you're not sure what you're doing, have someone do it for you... its really easy to screw something up. If you're handy with tools and know how to tear into things, then you can change the condenser yourself, just have the system checked and filled by a pro.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:41 PM
mohsinkhan35

SumAccordGuy. thanks for the advie. i will buy a leak stopper, if it works, fine if it doesnt then i guess i will have to change the condenser.(just making sure it is that radiator like thingy in front of radiator if i am not wrong) as i can see its a pretty easy set up but since there is no freon so there should be no worries about gas escaping. i will start it myself. if i reach a point where i dont know what to do then i'll post the details here as the guys over here have already been alot of help to me
Old 06-25-2006, 09:46 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mohsinkhan35
SumAccordGuy. thanks for the advie. i will buy a leak stopper, if it works, fine if it doesnt then i guess i will have to change the condenser.(just making sure it is that radiator like thingy in front of radiator if i am not wrong) as i can see its a pretty easy set up but since there is no freon so there should be no worries about gas escaping. i will start it myself. if i reach a point where i dont know what to do then i'll post the details here as the guys over here have already been alot of help to me
do not use leak stoppers it's a waste of money just replace the condensor since it has a good size hole if freon is blowing out, it's pretty easy to change you don't have to pull the radiator or bumper to do it . just remember to replace the 0-rings and the dryer since the system is been exposed to open air.