Notices

ignition timing

Old 06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
sponginpunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition timing

i had to remove my distributor to do some work on my car and the timing is off...well it sputters a lil at 2300 rpms then after that it acceerates fine. i wanted to know how to do a ignition timing. im gonna buy or rent a gun this weekend. i read across the internet about it but they have been all different. so if anyone can give a clear explanation that would be great
Old 06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

What Year?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sponginpunk
... so if anyone can give a clear explanation that would be great
If we had a clear explanation of what year Accord...

Most up until '97 are like this:
First, you do this with the engine all warmed up. Jumper the SCS connector (same thing as if you were reading CEL error codes).

Usually, you clamp the trigger wire of the timing gun around the #1 spark plug wire. Loosen the mounting bolts of the distributor so you can rotate it. Start the engine & shine the gun onto the front pulley of the engine.

There's a pointer of some kind, usually molded into the lower timing cover. The edge of the pulley has notches cut into it. There's one by itself, then to the left there's a group of 3. Adjust the distributor so the center of that group lines up with the pointer. Tighten the distributor & check that it's still OK.

After some model/year, the distributor mounting holes are not slotted, so you can't rotate it. For those, about all you can do is use the timing gun to verify that it's OK.

Some early Accords have their timing marks on the flywheel instead of the front pulley.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM
sponginpunk

its a 94 ex
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

It should set itself automatically....make sure when you put the dizzy back onto the cam, the grooves were lined up.......Did you reset the ECU (ie unplug ground cable from battery for 10secs)