Notices

Odometer Bulb Part Number

Old 06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
ezmiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer Bulb Part Number

Hi everyone,

Like a lot of other Accord owners, I have lost the light behind my odometer; it has burned out. I have researched how to access, remove, and replace the bulb, and this seems like an easy job to me.

What I would like to know, though, is the part number for the replacement bulb. I have read that the odometer backlight bulb is "maybe" different from the other dash binnacle bulbs (and pics of the back of the guage cluster suggest that it is indeed different). I have read that the bulb is a #74 from any local parts house . . . but I have also read that, maybe, the odometer bulb is a part number 272-1092 from Radio Shack . . . or maybe that it's a 168/194 from . . . somewhere .

I would rather have the replacement in hand before I dismantle the guage cluster.

If you have specific knowledge of the odometer light and its part number, and the parts house that uses that number, I would be very grateful. I suspect that a lot of others will be grateful, too, as this light seems to go out . . . . . . right about . . . . . . . now.

Thank you,

EZ
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Well, depending on what part of the odometer that went out, the cluster uses both 74 and 194 sized bulbs. Though the majority is going to be the smaller 74 sized bulbs as the 194 is only used I think twice throughout the entire instrument cluster.

If anything, just buy a pack of 74 and 194 bulbs to be sure. They should only be about 4.99/pack anyways.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

correct me if im wrong but im 95% sure its a #194 bulb on the odometer cluster
Old 06-22-2006, 09:14 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um just take it out and bring it to an auto parts store and they'll get you a new one. I just replaced my fuel gauge light yesterday and it was a 162.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Not sure what year accord you have but the 6th gens used a few different gauge cluster designs. Mine is a 98 and uses 3 168/194 bulbs for the tach, speedo, and fuel gauges but the temp gauge for some reason uses a #74 (aka T1.5) other 6th gens use 4 168/194 bulbs. The odometer is #74 (T1.5) and I'm sure that's the same for all versions of the 6th gen accord.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
ezmiles

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I should have stated that my Accord is a '99. So here goes: My Accord is a '99.

The bulb part number for the odometer light on a '99 is #74, available at local parts houses everywhere.

Others have described the process of removing the black and clear plastic cover to the instrument cluster and the removal of the guage cluster itself. Six screws, a little anxiety about broken plastic bits and scratches, and about forty-five minutes of no ten-year-old-son-distractions and you're done. Disconnect the battery. People feel foolish driving their car to the garage with their airbag deployed. Negative then Positive to disconnect; Positive and then Negative to reconnect.

One gotcha: My instrument cluster would not come out, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. As it turns out, on my car, the right plug-in connector was "caught" behind another foam wrapped bundle of wires. I had to use a long screwdriver to lift up the one bundle before the righthand connector would come under it so my guage cluster would come out.

Okay, one other gotcha. After you remove the two screws holding the black and clear plastic bezel or guage cover, you have to pull the bezel toward you, not up or toward the windshield. Pull it toward your face and you'll be close to the right direction. It's a little awkward because there's nothing really to grab on to, but pull toward you with your fingers on the black part of the bezel and your thumbs on either side of the steering wheel and the thing will come out. It's all pretty sturdy stuff really.

As always, HTH.

ezmiles

One more time for the search engines: The bulb for the odometer light or backlight on a '99 Honda Accord is a #74.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:37 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I can take my instrument cluster out in under 3 minutes...I timed myself today h:
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I can take my instrument cluster out in under 3 minutes...I timed myself today h:
you spend too much time with your accord
Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Jani
you spend too much time with your accord
I've spent the last 3 days taking my interior apart h:
Old 06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Misa
Pic Whore