Notices

99 Accord Crankshaft Bolt Rotation?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:47 PM
blubird302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Accord Crankshaft Bolt Rotation?

Hey guys, my question is I have a 99 Accord EX with the 3.0 V6 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which way to pull off the bolt on the crankshaft? I know the motor turns clockwise and the crankshaft pully is on the passenger side. I'm wanting to change the timing belt on it and had bought the special tool last week with the hex end, well I started and ended up bending the tool handle, I was turning the bolt counterclockwise, that's what the manual I bought for the car said. Well since the crankshaft turns clockwise does it make sense that you would turn the bolt the same direction to loosen it? I wanted to make sure on this so I'm not tightening the thing more than it already is and to go the right way with it. If anyone has done this on the 3.0 I really want to hear from you, I've been reading posts on here about the rotation of the bolt and people have said you take it off both ways, and you can't go by that, and any tips would greatly be appreciated, thanks to all.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

hmm i looking at the image and it just says remove the crankshaft pulley bolt....the way the picture is, it looks like he's turning it "clockwise"........don't quote me on it but thats the way it looks like he's turning while using the strap wrench to hold the crankshaft as he turns
Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 PM
waaBAAH

counterclockwise to loosen is correct. think of it for a second.....if your crank turns counterclockwise....and lets say the bolt is stationary....then with every rotation ...the bolt "goes backwards" so to say.... that means the bolt is somewhat tightening itself.

also like to note that this is always the hardest bolt to remove on the hondas. stick with it. my suggestion would be breaker bars.....with screwdrivers holding the crank. also tight "pops" inside of slowly applying force might help ya. you have the toold resting on the ground correct? and then use breaker bars for the end of the wrench

i have had the motor do the talking....lol put a socket on a started the car. well...not started...but tried to. used this method as a last resort and with caution.

Last edited by waaBAAH; 06-22-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:49 AM
blubird302

Hello again, here's what was said...

(hmm i looking at the image and it just says remove the crankshaft pulley bolt....the way the picture is, it looks like he's turning it "clockwise"........don't quote me on it but thats the way it looks like he's turning while using the strap wrench to hold the crankshaft as he turns)

I was wondering if you could send me a link to the picture you are talking about if it's on the internet, I have tried using a strap wrench and that never would work, would'nt hold the motor from spinning, so I bought the tool.

(counterclockwise to loosen is correct. think of it for a second.....if your crank turns counterclockwise....and lets say the bolt is stationary....then with every rotation ...the bolt "goes backwards" so to say.... that means the bolt is somewhat tightening itself.)

I just wanted to say to make sure, your talking about the crank going counterclockwise, well mine does not, it spins clockwise, my balancer is on the passenger side (for the V6 models) and the belts spin downward from the front so that tells me it's a clockwise direction. I did not have the tool resting on the ground, instead I had a friend hold the hex tool while I was trying to break loose the bolt, I figured since the motor spins clockwise you would turn the bolt the same direction to loosen it, is this correct or am I wrong, thanks alot.