Notices

98-2002 accord gas mileage auto vs. 5-speed

Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
losiglow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-2002 accord gas mileage auto vs. 5-speed

Hey, I'm looking to get ahold of a 98-2002 (6th gen?) accord this fall. I'd like the 5-speed personally but the little lady would like an automatic in it. It took awhile to convince her honda over toyota but now I'm hurting to sway her on the 5-speed. The only arguement I can give her in favor of the manual is gas mileage but I'm not sure if there is really a significant difference in mileage between the auto vs. manual, especially on fueleconomy.gov. (1 mile/gallon difference?). Any owners out there notice better mileage with the manual?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll get better mpg if you don't suck
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manuals will get slightly better mileage (2-4 mpg) than autos because of the extra gear. then again, if you love to rev high before shifting, youd easily null out the gains.

other personal reasons why i'll always drive manuals :

-they offer much more control in terms of shift points, meaning if you wanted to make a quick pass, you could immediately downshift instead of hitting the gas and waiting for your auto tranny to engage for you.

-easier to drive in the snow and to get out of patches of snow/ice (easy to rock your car back and forth switching from reverse to 1st)

-engine braking, or at least thats what i think its called

-not as boring h: