Notices

Clicks but won't turnover

Old 06-20-2006, 08:43 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicks but won't turnover

Ok here i go.....I got a 98 accord 2dr v6 AT.....its been perfectly fine up until yesterday.....I drove around and it was hot out (a/c on, sound system, lights)....still fine so i go park infront of my friends house and car sits for about 1/2 hour....go to start it and it just clicks doesn't even turnover or sound like its trying to start, im guessing the clicking it the starter solenoid trying to move but can't???.....i call a friend and for a jump, we hook up both cars and its starts up perfectly so im guessing it was the battery...i drive around for 1/2 (city/highway)...get home turn off the car and go to start it and same clicking sound as if the battery is dead......so i get jumper cables hook up both terminals and touch both ends and i get a big nice spark sooooo the battery is ok it has voltage....so i guess it leaves me with the starter or alternator? i just brought a HAYNES repair manual for 98-02 accords cuz i do most work myself as i've done with my other imports but im kinda stumped on this one.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

return your haynes and buy a helms ASAP.

You need to add in more detail. Why did you jump start it, why do you think it's your alternator, any funny noises, what is 'clicking', etc.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:00 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

I jumped started it because it would just "click" you'll see a majority of the cel's light up and flicker like it has verrrryyyyy little or no power and asking for more to start. I used to work at honda selling cars and it made the same sound the new cars made when they were dead and needed a jump. It would just Click but not move to the next step which would be atleast to try n turnover.....i got a jump because i though i had left my head lights on or somethin like that, after the jump, turned the key and started perfectly.......after a 1/2 hr of driving i parked infront of my house and took the key out, tried to start it and same clicking sound happened again like theres no power what so ever
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like ignition switch. do you have anything in your car that would mysteriously drain the battery's power while it's sitting?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
flyromeo3

why would you connect jumper cables and then touch the positive and negative terminals together? Chances are you probably did worse by doing that.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

well i didn't have the terminals connected to the car they were disconnected, i just wanted to see if there was any power at all in the battery since the car feels like its dead ...aside from my sound system and HID, everything is stock so theres nothing really that would drain the battery....i did have my blinkers on (hazards) the time i was parked infront of my friends house (really was double parked)....but those lights use very little power i've kept my blinkers on before just as long and started up perfectly so i don't think it was my blinkers.....
Old 06-20-2006, 12:03 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

ok guys i just bought a digital multimeter and checked the voltage across the terminals of the battery and it read 10.57 V which which is low. should read (11.5-12V engine off)(13.5-15V engine running).....so what my plan is to get the car boosted again and with the engine running check the voltages again (should rise)....let it run for a while and check the voltage then put a load on it (lights on, radio, etc).....it should drop a lil but then rise again....if it drops and continues to drop then that mean my alternator isn't charging my battery and is faulty correct???? any opinions?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

Okay, what you need to do. Is go to an Autozone and have them check your battery / alternator. They do it free while both parts are still on the car.

but basically they will be putting a load onto the battery. your battery should be holding a charge of 12volts, anything above 10 will get Er' done but anything below is considered a bad battery.

Alternator should put out 16v, but.... go have them check it brah.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:00 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

i dunno i don't think its the battery it barely a yr old, its a diehard battery.....and i took my friends battery (works) from his car and put it on mine and the same thing happened, just clicks.....what bugs me is that when i jumped the car before, it started perfectly and stayed on while i had a/c and radio on......so i don't think it the battery, maybe the alternator's done???
Old 06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
fstop128

clicks r usually 2 things. starter contacts or battery. if your car starts with a jump its time for a new battery. u dont have enough juice in the battery to turn the starter over. the starter takes alot of battery power.