Notices

engine stalls on 98 accord lx v6

Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
oholdeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stalls on 98 accord lx v6

a few days ago i was turning the steering wheel while in park and the car stalled. i thought maybe the power steering took a large load on the engine and caused the car to stall. i didn't think much of it.

but today i drove into a parking lot, parked, and turned off the ignition. i came back out maybe 2 minutes later, and when starting the car, it sounded as though the engine was working really hard, and the car stalled again. all the lights went on.

trying to turn the key again, the engine just wouldn't turn over.

waiting a few more minutes, i turned the key again and it started completely fine.

i drove about 40 miles afterwards, no strange sounds coming from the engine whatsoever. engine seems to be completely fine.

car is pushing 150k miles, though the car has been maintained religiously. when i am able to get the car running it looks as though nothing is wrong whatsoever.

please help! this is concerning me a lot.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:17 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it shudder and then die? If so, it's related to a poor intake of air or fuel: EGR, air filter, carbon build up, old plugs, old plug wires, etc.

Does it just die without a fight? Like, will it not matter if you try to floor it? If so, it's probably electrical: PGM-FI main relay, ignition switch.

edit: how much did you end up paying for that car?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:02 AM
oholdeno

it will shudder then die. then it won't start when i try again. it will start completely fine if i wait a few more minutes. driving it is completely fine.

edit: i don't really touch the pedal while any of this happens.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

low idle on the engine? Bouncing RPM's? Any "check engine lights"?

I'm guessing a jammed EGR. When you're driving, it's absolutely fine ... just when you slow down or come to a stop, the EGR is still open letting exhaust back into the engine.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 AM
oholdeno

the car is fine when i come to stop lights and stop signs, even with the ac on. it seems to happen when i have the car turned off and parked, and then when i try to start the car again soon after.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Holy hell you overpaid for that car You bought it for like $1k above book value.

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
low idle on the engine? Bouncing RPM's? Any "check engine lights"?

I'm guessing a jammed EGR. When you're driving, it's absolutely fine ... just when you slow down or come to a stop, the EGR is still open letting exhaust back into the engine.
He doesn't have a CEL on, so the EGR can't be jammed open silly But the EGR ports are probably clogged so the engine isn't getting the air it anticipates at idle. The EGR sends spent exhaus gasses back into the intake, so if it isn't getting those instead of compensating with more air it just dies.

But I had this exact same problem when my EGR ports were clogged. You need to clean the EGR ports. It takes about 2-2.5 hours. You have to disconnect the throttle body from the intake mani, then remove the intake mani and you'll see a port on the block and a port on the mani horrendously filled with nasty black carbon.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 AM
oholdeno

i will defiinitely give that a try. is there any chance that it could be somethign else? maybe the main relay or distributor?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by oholdeno
i will defiinitely give that a try. is there any chance that it could be somethign else? maybe the main relay or distributor?
It could be, but since cleaning your EGR ports costs about $3 for a can of carb cleaner I wouldn't bother. I doubt it's the main relay. The distributors on these cars are pretty strong.

Buy a V6 supplement service manual at www.helminc.com and also the general 98-99 Accord service manual.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:26 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Here was mine after 200k: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ight=J30A1+EGR
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 AM
oholdeno

are there any guides online it seems like you did a great job diy