Notices

1994 Accord LX Cooling System Issues

Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM
cmcaldwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Accord LX Cooling System Issues

1994 Accord LX 5-Speed - I have known for months that I had a water pump going bad, and now I am ready and able to replace it. I would have done it earlier, but I only drive 2 miles back and forth to work... Anyway, the last couple of weeks, I am adding about 3-4 liters of water EVERY DAY, and when I pour it in the radiator, quite a bit appears to drip off the bottom of the motor on driver's side.

Is this simply a symptom of a completely faulty water pump, or might I now also have head gasket issues? I have no smoke in the exhaust (white or otherwise), and car seems to run fine otherwise, when the coolant level is full. I also plan to repace my radiator, as it appears that the TAP WATER I have been putting in the radiator (I know, bad idea...) has created quite a bit of build-up in the radiator...

I've already got the parts to replace the WP and timing belt... Anything else I should consider replacing while I am in there? Also, how much time should budget for replacing the WP, considering I have never "mechaniced" more than moderately (replaced two CV axles on same car a few years ago)? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:58 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um yeah...with the temperatures you've generated inside your engine due to no functioning water pump you could have warped or damaged anything. Do a compression test. Good luck with that. Worst case, you might be looking at a new engine and cooling system.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 AM
cmcaldwell

Well, like I said, it runs fine with coolant in the radiator. I have taken great care to make sure I dont drive the car while the temp gauge is "in the red." I keep several 2-liter bottles of water with me at all times, so I can pull over and add water when it gets too hot. No warning lights come on at all, even when the car gets hot... I've really been babying it, so I feel confident (though not 100% certain) that there is no engine damage.

Any idea why the coolant leaks on the ground? Is that an obvious symptom of the failed WP?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 AM
fstop128

u sure its your water pump? u may have a leak in a hose, a connection or the radiator itself.. water pumps make bearing noises when they r going bad. eventually u wont be able to drive it even if u add water to it daily. throw in a thermostat while u r doing all of it.
since u have never done the timing belt, water pump, radiator before see if u can find someone to help u. its a messy job to do by yourself. u have a 5spd so u dont have to worry about transmission cooling lines to the radiator.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
cmcaldwell

Pretty sure, yes. I had a mechanic tell me that around Christmas. I was having problems with it getting really hot on long highway trips (4-6 hours at 70-90mph), and I would have to refill the radiator once in that time interval). I had it checked out while I was out of town and that is what he told me. Decided to wait until I could have my hometown mech give me a more unbiased opinion, and he concurred.

Now it gets really hot after driving around town for 10-15 minutes, but if I only drive back and forth to work (2 miles one way), and keep the coolant full, its runs fine.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
cmcaldwell

Anyone else have an opinion?

I have received a quote for $295 labor (I supply the parts) to replace the WP and timing belt.... Its nearly $750 @ local Honda dealer. Should I try to find a cheaper price? Sounds pretty reasonable to me...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by cmcaldwell
Well, like I said, it runs fine with coolant in the radiator. I have taken great care to make sure I dont drive the car while the temp gauge is "in the red." I keep several 2-liter bottles of water with me at all times, so I can pull over and add water when it gets too hot. No warning lights come on at all, even when the car gets hot... I've really been babying it, so I feel confident (though not 100% certain) that there is no engine damage.

Any idea why the coolant leaks on the ground? Is that an obvious symptom of the failed WP?
You don't understand. The thermostat measures the temperature of the coolant at the exit of the water pump, right? If the water isn't circulating, you're subjecting your engine to extreme cylinder temperatures. Do a compression test. If you didn't notice any steam that water was going one place...into your engine. You probably blew a head gasket, if you didn't warp the head and/or block.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
tuffytwochins

Is there a way to test the output of the waterpump? Like remove the thermostat and run a hose to and from a bucket of water. Anyone tried this or even thought it through? Tuffy
Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
cmcaldwell

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
You don't understand. The thermostat measures the temperature of the coolant at the exit of the water pump, right? If the water isn't circulating, you're subjecting your engine to extreme cylinder temperatures. Do a compression test. If you didn't notice any steam that water was going one place...into your engine. You probably blew a head gasket, if you didn't warp the head and/or block.
You are right, I don't fully understand how the complete system works. Who should I contact to get a compression test? How much does that cost? Is it a simple test that the guys at Autozone or O'Reilly's can do in 5 minutes, or must I take it in to a "qualified mechanic?"
Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by cmcaldwell
You are right, I don't fully understand how the complete system works. Who should I contact to get a compression test? How much does that cost? Is it a simple test that the guys at Autozone or O'Reilly's can do in 5 minutes, or must I take it in to a "qualified mechanic?"
Buy yourself a compression tester for $20-30 anywhere then do it yourself. Instructions can be found anywhere. A mechanic would probably charge you around $100-$120 for it. Also, when you take the spark plugs out take picture of them and post them. They're a good indicator of what could be wrong in your engine.