Notices

Experiencing a Humming sound?

Old 06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
blindmokey13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiencing a Humming sound?

I'm experiencing a humming sound coming from the driverside front tire. I think it may be the bearings, but im not sure if anyone could give me some insight into this problem i would be greatful. Also When i start my car every once in a while, it will stall and wont start for a while like its flooded, usually when its been sitting for the heat, but it usually only happens when i start it up for the first time. I think it might be the fuel injectors but i dont really know. I have a 98 honda accord coupe. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Last edited by blindmokey13; 06-11-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:21 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, check the lateral play of your rotors. We can't be there to hear it.

Your second problem is the main relay.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 AM
fstop128

wheel bearing would be my guess. as they go bad the noise gets pretty loud, like being in a wind tunnel. as it goes bad u will get a vibration also. main relay is my guess also. in the heat the contacts lose their connection. the main relay u can do yourself. it signals the fuel pump. as the relay goes bad u will get more frequent no starts especially after short trips ie. leave home, go to a store for a quick item, leave and it wont start. wait awhile longer then it starts.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 AM
sold2early

Default Yeah I'm getting that too

It's this loud, low frequency, droning noise that is noticable even at lower speeds, but it gets louder with speed, and it becomes very annoying at 40+ mph. I don't believe it's related to the engine or trans, because when I punch the gas and the trans downshifts and the RPMS shoot up, the noise doesn't change.

I thought it was my tires, which were close to needing replacement. After installing the new tires the noise is still there, and they are inflated to 30psi, which Honda recommends. It started a few weeks ago, and it came on fairly quicky. Although I could be somewhat oblivious since I usually have the stereo up fairly loud.

Mine's a '98 Accord with 138K miles. The rear wheel bearings were done 15-20K ago, but I don't believe the fronts were ever done. I can't really pinpoint which end the noise is coming from because it just it completely fills the cabin.

I'll have the wheel bearings checked out -- does anybody have any other ideas?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

do you guys ever actually do what we suggest or just keep asking for more help?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 AM
sold2early

Default Gosh, 98, I'm sorry..

You should have mentioned in your previous post that you are the supreme know-it-all of the automotive world. Then I wouldn't have wasted time soliciting other opinions. I would have marched right down to my mechanic and told him to go ahead and do the job based on your guess. And when he asks me "Are you sure that's the problem?", I could confidently say "Of course I'm sure, an 'expert' told me so".

In fact, you should be a nationwide consultant to all Honda dealers. They could get rid of all the expensive diagnostic equipment in their garages; they could simply call you, read you the customers' description of the problem, and then make the repair based solely on your advice. Just think of all the labor hours they would save!

Your snide remark and 12000+ posts point to only one conclusion: You are a forum snob! Are you mad at the world? Did you not get enough hugs as a child? Perhaps you should diagnose that problem instead.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by sold2early
You should have mentioned in your previous post that you are the supreme know-it-all of the automotive world. Then I wouldn't have wasted time soliciting other opinions. I would have marched right down to my mechanic and told him to go ahead and do the job based on your guess. And when he asks me "Are you sure that's the problem?", I could confidently say "Of course I'm sure, an 'expert' told me so".

In fact, you should be a nationwide consultant to all Honda dealers. They could get rid of all the expensive diagnostic equipment in their garages; they could simply call you, read you the customers' description of the problem, and then make the repair based solely on your advice. Just think of all the labor hours they would save!

Your snide remark and 12000+ posts point to only one conclusion: You are a forum snob! Are you mad at the world? Did you not get enough hugs as a child? Perhaps you should diagnose that problem instead.
Yup, that'll get you help If you would have read my post and followed my suggestion you would already know whether or not your wheel bearings are bad FOR FREE.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 PM
AcuraFanatic

Wheel bearing, flat spotted tire.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
fstop128

It's this loud, low frequency, droning noise that is noticable even at lower speeds, but it gets louder with speed, and it becomes very annoying at 40+ mph. I don't believe it's related to the engine or trans, because when I punch the gas and the trans downshifts and the RPMS shoot up, the noise doesn't change.

I thought it was my tires, which were close to needing replacement. After installing the new tires the noise is still there, and they are inflated to 30psi, which Honda recommends. It started a few weeks ago, and it came on fairly quicky. Although I could be somewhat oblivious since I usually have the stereo up fairly loud.

Mine's a '98 Accord with 138K miles. The rear wheel bearings were done 15-20K ago, but I don't believe the fronts were ever done. I can't really pinpoint which end the noise is coming from because it just it completely fills the cabin.

I'll have the wheel bearings checked out -- does anybody have any other ideas?
the vibration will give u an idea of which axle to go with on the wheel bearing.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:37 PM
fstop128

98CoupeV6 is very knowledgeable. he is an excellent resource. if u get a chance do a search, he has made some stickies to help dx and fix several common problems with most generations of accords.