Notices

is this accord worth it?

Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
oholdeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this accord worth it?

98 accord lx, v6, emerald green, body and interior in excellent shape. test drive was excellent and comfortable.

cruise control, power locks & windows & driver seats, dual fs airbags, lojack, abs, alloy wheels

stereo: boston acoustic speakers, sony es receiver, sony es 10 disc changer, monster cables everywhere, dynomat soundproofing

kaminari body kit, eibach pro kit, koni shocks, sway bar, slotted rotors

i don't know what half this stuff is. i just want a reliable car that can get me from point a to b. i am looking to have a mechanic look at it.

biggest downside is 144k in a mileage. i know hondas can go up to 200k but how can i know that this one will? this is the only thing that is giving me second thoughts on getting this car, so i wanted a few second opinions.

guy was very honest (friend of a friend) - car was very well maintained and driven on highway 90% of the time (commuting to/from work 100 miles/day).

$5500 final before taxes.

pleaseeee share any more valuable car buying advice for this noob.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

98CoupeV6 is who you need to talk to....i think he has the exact same model as you.

From my knowledge V6 engines last a lil while longer than I4's so 144k especially with a Honda is cake miles...especially if most are highway miles.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tranny WILL go before 200k unless it's already been replaced. Just to let you know. Is the 1-2 shift hard at all? Try flooring it on the highway and see if the 4-->2 or 4-->3 shift slips at all.

Also, the alternator will go soon. You will need to replace your EGR valve and clean out the EGR ports. A bunch of simple stuff like that, it almost borders on routine maintenance.

And plan on your catalytic converter also going out before 200k. Mine went at 150k. I got an awesome deal on it for $200, but normally they cost about $500.

Personally, I would never buy a modified car but it's your call. make sure your mechanic checks the condition of the ball joints.

edmunds.com value is $4600. I wouldn't pay any more than $4500, especially since it's an LX and not an EX (leather, moonroof, etc). Keep in mind you'll be spending $1000 on a transmission within 50k miles if you find a good deal, and between $2500 and $3500 if you don't.

If you just want reliability, find an Accord EX 4-cylinder 5 speed. The V6 is more maintenance intensive (more spark plugs, finicky EGR system, more oil, more gas, etc) and the automatic lasts about 150-200k miles.

Do you know what kind of highway MPG he's getting? That tends on this car to be an amazingly accurate determinant of how well the car has ben maintained/the engine condition.

Last edited by 98CoupeV6; 06-09-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:31 PM
bubbrubb

Im going to have to agree with never buying a modified car (besides one thats lowered/rims) otherwise you know that the person that owned it drove it harder then a stock car would be driven. There is a reason people modify there car for handling, and i wouldnt think for a second that person babied the car. Even tho they did routine maintenace on the car, it can still be in poor shape due to hard driving. I mean, slotted brakes practicly scream " Im driving extremely fast in my car, i need to stop harder "
Old 06-10-2006, 03:40 PM
oholdeno

the car gets about 24-25 highway i believe, if i remembered right.

when i was braking at high speeds, the car shook a bit, coming from the front. i'm guessing the rotors or brake pads are messed up?

the transmission shifted very smoothly throughout. again with the car being driven on the highway 90% of the time, the tranny hasn't been put to any hard work.

can a mechanic check out the life of a transmission/engine?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM
flyromeo3

the only used cars I bought in the past were from older people.
I never ever ever ever ever bought a car from a young kid or something.
Most adults treat their car much better
Old 06-11-2006, 08:05 AM
JerryS

At least from the dealer, pricely at times, but it comes with a warrenty (at least 30days). In my case, since my neighbor works at the local Honda dealership, I've had nothing but good experience.