Notices

Replacement interval for PS and AC belts.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
ledebuhr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement interval for PS and AC belts.

I just had my timing and balancer belt replaced. They did not replace my AC, and PS belt. I noticed in the owners manual that Honda does not give a replacement interval for these belts. Honda says to adjust and inspect every 15k. When should these belts be replaced?
They still look like new.
I have a 02 Accord EX.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever they start to make noise. You'll notice they're worn if they squeak when wet or if they're noticeably cracked.

I replaced my alternator/AC belt at 150k miles and it looked fine when I took it off. Easy job to do yourself. I dunno what the F series engines are like, but my J30A1's PS belt wraps around an engine mount and behind the other belt so it's quite a bit of work. It's been making noise when wet so I need to change that one h:
Old 06-06-2006, 05:14 PM
ledebuhr1

Thanks,
I was thinking about going back and having them change the PS/AC belts just to get that out of the way. They said its much easier than the timing belt.

Is there anything eles that I should have done at 106k? I see that Honda recomends the valves clearance be checked at 105k, as well as the spark plugs be replaced. The car runs flawless, but thats the way I want to keep it.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4-cylinder???

They had to take those belts off to do the timing belt, so it seems pretty silly to put the old belts back on at that point. It should have been simply the cost of the belts themselves with no extra labor if you had them do that together.

Even if the belts look good, they get hard & slippery with age & heat. Then you have to over-tighten them to stop them from squeaking. That's hard on the bearings. I'd wait till the belts squeak, because they're easy to change whenever needed.

Lots of people replace the waterpump along with the timing belt, since it's not likely to last another 90k miles. Your timing belt has to come back off to do the waterpump, but it's too late to do all that together.

Again, I'd wait for the waterpump to leak. It's too late to do it together with the timing belt. Waterpumps rarely go quickly. They either begin leaking slowly or they start making noise. If it goes another 40k miles, then do the waterpump & timing belt together at that time.

Valve clearance & spark plugs are up on top where they're easy to do by themselves. It's not real important that those jobs be combined with the belts.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:02 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

I got it all done with my timing belt. I've seen a Honda supplied chart where it suggests 100K for the AV6 (6th gen)

*looking for it*
Old 06-07-2006, 05:33 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by JimBlake
4-cylinder???

They had to take those belts off to do the timing belt, so it seems pretty silly to put the old belts back on at that point. It should have been simply the cost of the belts themselves with no extra labor if you had them do that together.

Even if the belts look good, they get hard & slippery with age & heat. Then you have to over-tighten them to stop them from squeaking. That's hard on the bearings. I'd wait till the belts squeak, because they're easy to change whenever needed.

Lots of people replace the waterpump along with the timing belt, since it's not likely to last another 90k miles. Your timing belt has to come back off to do the waterpump, but it's too late to do all that together.

Again, I'd wait for the waterpump to leak. It's too late to do it together with the timing belt. Waterpumps rarely go quickly. They either begin leaking slowly or they start making noise. If it goes another 40k miles, then do the waterpump & timing belt together at that time.

Valve clearance & spark plugs are up on top where they're easy to do by themselves. It's not real important that those jobs be combined with the belts.
The AC/ Alternator belt sits on the opposite side of the engine where the timing belt is. THe power steering belt is on the same side as the timing belt which is does leave you puzzled as to why they didnt replace it.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

I thought the 6th gen accords have a single serpentine belt, not separate PS and Alt belts???
Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by Big AL
I thought the 6th gen accords have a single serpentine belt, not separate PS and Alt belts???

the a/c has its own belt. and I think PS and alternator use the same one.
Ill check when iget home i have the box of belts sitting in my garage.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 AM
ledebuhr1

Yes it is a 4 cylinder.

They said they only reccomend replacing the water pump if it is leaking or looks like it could soon fail. He said the later model 6th gen water pumps dont fail that often.

I may go over there today and get a price for thoes two belts.

Any Idea how long hoses last? I see Honda doesent have a time frame for replacment.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 AM
vtec rider
h22 under the hood

what a gay dealership, they should have changed all belts with the timing belt service. I hate stealerships, I paid 800 for my 105,000 service that replaced the timing belt, and they replaced everything. water pump, accessories belts etc. They should of changed yours too, I would go back and bitch at them for not changing them. I wouldnt care if they look like new or not. How much did you pay for that service?