Notices

another big decision

Old 06-04-2006, 06:31 PM
shine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another big decision

Well, i have a 2000 accord ex i4 with a manual trany. I have a vtec,cold air, lightweight belts, headers, and other minor aftermarket parts. The acceleration is ok, but I really wont my car to be faster. Im trying to decide wether to put a turbo in or put a different engine in. If ur opinion would be a turbo, why? If u think if i should switch engines,why and which kind would fit? Any kind of imput would be great. thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Tassimau
Banned

I am in your shoes. Im going to go with the turbo simply for the sound. Other people will prolly say swap
Old 06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
vtec-y

either are good decisions. turbos may lead to less complications, i say that only b/c with a swap you might have trouble finding parts that fit that engine with that particular body type...i could be wrong. a turbo will cause you to ditch the intake and header you have now. also think whether you want all around power vs. peak power+a wicked cool sound. i have a 97 accord so i could swap an H series engine in, if you have a K series engine you might be able to swap the TSX engine +tranny in...you'll have a 6 speed accord. another thing about engine swaps is that sometimes you'll need new engine mounts. (can get expensive) my friend has a CRX and is swapping in a B16, he needed new mounts and half shafts...hes' also swapping in a new tranny to handle the power.

the choice is up to you. a turbo might be less of a hassle. plus with a turbo you can vary the boost level's which, is nice b/c gas is getting expensive.

weigh your options,
andrew
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F23 has plenty of potential, no need for an H series motor if you're going FI. But make sure it's gonna be worth it at the end of the day when you lay down all that money and still have the same car with worse gas mileage and reliability.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

I've been debating this issue myself and leaning towards a new engine. the H22 motor is the most popular to swap in but if you live in an area where emissions tests are mandatory then you will fail because swapping in an older H22 (OBD1) motor is illegal. Another thing to consider with an engine swap is that you do get all newer parts with your engine such as a starter, alternator, water pump, etc. If your car has high mileage this should be a big factor since with turbo or any FI you still have your old high mileage motor and parts to live with.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

You should check out B's motor thread in the other Honda forum. You'll quickly see that the cheapest route may be to part out the Accord and go buy another car.

He has a wicked Turbo F23A, but be sure you read his troubles and $$$ spent before you go head long into the turbo set up.

Find a pre-existing turbo car, like a Subi, DSM, or Audi/VW may be the more cost effective way to go. It's so much easier to make made power from a turbo when the OEM put the set-up in for you...

An older 1.8T Audi wouldn't be too expensive and in the end you have a car with a lot of the same Accord traits, but the turbo is OEM and ready for tweaking.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 PM
shine

Originally Posted by MrChad
You should check out B's motor thread in the other Honda forum. You'll quickly see that the cheapest route may be to part out the Accord and go buy another car.

He has a wicked Turbo F23A, but be sure you read his troubles and $$$ spent before you go head long into the turbo set up.

Find a pre-existing turbo car, like a Subi, DSM, or Audi/VW may be the more cost effective way to go. It's so much easier to make made power from a turbo when the OEM put the set-up in for you...

An older 1.8T Audi wouldn't be too expensive and in the end you have a car with a lot of the same Accord traits, but the turbo is OEM and ready for tweaking.
What other honda forum? I searched his name(b's94accord) but didnt find anything with turbos. Am i not lookin at the right guy?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
shine

And how will these turbos for different cars fit on my accord? Does any turbo work but just need accord turbo accessories?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

http://www.everything-honda.com/foru...read.php?t=560