Notices

Painting Rims... Suggestions please! :D

Old 06-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Funkwheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Rims... Suggestions please! :D

Hello, I haven't posted on here in a couple years... Starting to get back into workin on my car, I kinda abandoned it for a while and got lazy and didn't touch it for years. Haven't been taking the best of care of it, either.

I don't have any pics right now but I'll take some in the morning. But, it's a 6th gen (99) green EX sedan.. I'm sure you all know what those look like :P

Anyway, the rims are really really filthy and knicked up a little bit (knicks were there when I bought it, dirt is mostly my fault)... I wanna paint them but I don't know what color. Trying to figure out what would go best with the green. I'm thinkin perhaps gunmetal, or I might just paint them a similar color to the stock color, just to at least get it cleaned up a bit.

Today I painted the callipers silver and I think it'll look really good if I get the rims lookin nice again...

Lemme knoow what you think, and post some pics of your's if you have painted rims! I saw a few nice ones on the search, but show me more!!

Last edited by Funkwheat; 06-04-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a fan of painted rims. Have you thought of aftermarket or 17 or 18" OEM Honda accessory rims?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Funkwheat

I would love to eventually get new rims, and when I do I am strongly thinking about getting the stock SE rims. I've always loved the way they look... best stock Honda rims out, IMO.

However, I can't really afford to do anything crazy like that right now, and I figured painting them would at least make it so they don't look like crap, until I get new rims. Do you agree or you think I should just leave it as is? Again, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, but take it from me, they're pretty damn dirty... beyond cleaning, I think. Also there are a few knicks on them.

Thanks for the response
Old 06-04-2006, 09:24 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen some of the 17" Honda wheels go for around $500-600 on ebay and internet forums. Pretty good deal IMO. If my car wasn't such a beater I'd buy some in a heartbeat.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Funkwheat

Yeah. I'll be all about that as soon as I can get 500-600$. But with the way my finances are right now itt might be a while :XX

What do you think of painting them overall, as a cheap fix? I just think it would definitely look much nicer then the dirty-ass ones right now :X

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:15 AM
pnthr30

I used Duplicolor wheel paint and several coats of clear..........here is how they turned out - pretty good if I do say so, myself. Let me know if you have any questions.

I gradually sanded out all the nicks/rash/gouges, smoothed them out with a finer grit, degreased them and painted them (lots of light coats).

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=229181

Last edited by pnthr30; 06-05-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Funkwheat

Damn, I like that. Looks like it came out really nice. What type of stuff did you use to degrease them? How many coats is "several"? Like 5 or 6, or like 10+? :X and how many coats of the regular paint?

It looks really nice though, I think I'm going to go with a lighter color, to contrast with the green. I might even do it today, it's kinda nice out

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM
pnthr30

Originally Posted by Funkwheat
Damn, I like that. Looks like it came out really nice. What type of stuff did you use to degrease them? How many coats is "several"? Like 5 or 6, or like 10+? :X and how many coats of the regular paint?

It looks really nice though, I think I'm going to go with a lighter color, to contrast with the green. I might even do it today, it's kinda nice out

Thanks for the reply
After all the prep work (sanding and smoothing) was done, I degreased them with Simple Green - you just don't want any fingerprints or oil on the wheels so the paint will adhere evenly. By several I mean like 5 or 6 (I think, to be honest, I don't remember). I started off with very light coats to make sure things were not going to run. The first few coats won't be anywhere near as dark as your intended color. By the 4th coat, it is pretty much the color you want. After it was dry, I put on 3 or 4 coats of clear. Again, I started off with pretty light coats. The last coat of clear I put on pretty heavy.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

personally, i think painted rims are pretty damn good lookin if your on a budget. i did mine in graphite duplicolor wheel paint and i was really satisfied with the results. only thing is you really gotta lay clear coat on pretty good if you want a nice shiny finish... i'm bringin mine back in for a few more coats sometime this week
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 AM
constantc

griotsgarage.com sells the correct silver and non-yellowing clear spray cans. Works pretty well