Notices

Power Steering Fluid Change...plus Thermostat (6th gen)

Old 05-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Accord1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Change...plus Thermostat (6th gen)

I did a search and didn't find much info. On a '98 Accord LX (4 cyl), is it a good idea to change the power steering fluid? If so, how often should it be changed? I can't really find anywhere where it says to change/flush the fluid, just says to keep it topped off. If anyone has changed their power steering fluid completely, what is the proper procedure?

Also, what is a good thermostat to purchase? Should I get one from the dealer or just go to an auto parts store and pick one up? I was thinking about replacing the thermostat with the one that fails in the open position... good idea, bad idea? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:18 PM
BuCxLuXoRx2o0o

i would just get an OEM thermostat its only like $3-4 more then an auto parts store thermostat.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also can't find any scheduled interval for PS fluid replacement. I replaced mine because it looked kinda dirty when we inherited the car ('98 Accord 4-cyl).

Lift & support the front of the car so you can turn the steering back & forth.

There's a section of hose connecting to the cooler tube infront of the radiator. Look down low, under the PS reservoir. Unhook that hose & catch the fluid in a bucket.

Start the engine & turn the steering back & forth all the way a couple times to pump fluid out from the lines. This will make a real mess unless you're creative with some hoses to catch the fluid. Don't run the engine any longer than you really have to, maybe 30 seconds.

There's a fine screen down inside the reservoir, check that out. If you need, remove & clean out the reservoir. I've used stuff like SimpleGreen & hot water. Make sure you dry it very thoroughly. Don't forget to hook up the hose where you drained the fluid.

Hook the reservoir back up & fill it. Run the engine just long enough to turn the steering back & forth a couple times. The fluid will be foamy now... Let it settle (1/2 hour?) Add what you need & repeat this step a couple times. Eventualy the foam will settle out.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 PM
svallab1

Default Thanks JimBlake for the procedure!!

What about the air in the system? Will the air bubbles be gone due to the power steering fluid being circulated?
Do you mean that the foam is because of the air bubbles? If so, after filling the reservoir , steering has to be turned side to side(how many times) in order to get the air out of the system?

I would appreciate your input on the following symptom as well!

Mine is 2000 Accord SE 4cyl( 150K). I am in Michigan and this winter i am noticing the same thing. When i start on a cold Morning and try to turn the steering it looks like the steering belt is slipping(rather hard to turn the steering). When i turn the steering all the way, i hear a whining noise/power steering pump locking up(just a fraction of second). I noticed this by opening the hood and turning the steering wheel. Looks like the steering belt is slipping and sometimes power steering motor locking up.
Should i replace the belt or is the power steering motor giving up?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by svallab1; 01-23-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: more detail added
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
JimBlake

Yes, the air gets churned up into fine foam by the action of the pump. While it's foamy the fluid doesn't work well, which is another reason to lift the front of the car. I haven't figured out a better way to work out the air.

Turn the steering back & forth at least 2 or 3 times, then let the fluid settle. Then do it again a couple times. That's to get fresh fluid all the way to each end of the hydraulic cylinder in the steering rack. Each time you let it settle, the air comes to the surface not only in the reservoir, but in the rack & the lines too. It's kind of a tedious pain working all the air out.

When it's cold & you first start up, it's not too unusual for the power steering to be like that. I think the pump needs a few more seconds to wake up. I'm talking about spinning the steering wheel fast (like getting out of a parking spot) immediately when you start.

As the belt gets old, it gets hard & slippery, so more likely to slip. Temptation is to over-tighten the belt, but that's not a good thing to do.

It's hard to figure out blaming the belt vs. the pump itself, but the belt is cheap & easy to replace.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 AM
svallab1

Thank you very much JimBlake! I will replace the belt and the power steering fluid this weekend and post back the results! When tightening the belt, are there any specs or just tighten the belt so that there is minimal paly/slag?
Thank you!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
flyromeo3

in the 144k miles in my accord I never changed the power steering, or brake fluid. Never had a problem
Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
JimBlake

Belt tension can be measured with a tension gauge, and there IS a spec for it. But you can also push on the long span of the belt, with you thumb. You should be able to push it something like 1/4 or 1/2 inch.