Notices

A/C Clutch Engagement/Disengagement

Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Clutch Engagement/Disengagement

Since it's been real hot here the past few days I've been using my A/C on the highway. I notice that when the A/C cycles on and off (clutch engaging and disengaging), it's very noticeable and feels like the torque converter unlocking. The A/C still works great but I can feel it working more than I ever have before. Is this a sign that I need a new compressor soon?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:04 AM
smakdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Since it's been real hot here the past few days I've been using my A/C on the highway. I notice that when the A/C cycles on and off (clutch engaging and disengaging), it's very noticeable and feels like the torque converter unlocking. The A/C still works great but I can feel it working more than I ever have before. Is this a sign that I need a new compressor soon?
It could be just the compressor clutch going bad, which im pretty sure is replacable w/o having to replace the whole compressor.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:10 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Oh really? Thanks! I hope that's the case. I don't have my service manuals with me. I guess I could call my dad and have him try to look it up for me h:
Old 05-29-2006, 12:33 AM
stereo

I really doubt it being the a/c clutch because it only engages the compressor if it was going out just won't engage it at times and the air won't be as cold but if the a/c seem to be bogging the motor down more then usal the compressor might be going out , I know on my car I can feel the compressor kicking on and and it does bog the car down too.. so I turn it off when taking off and put it on after i'm going fast enough. unless it's very hot ..