Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Subaru of America Challenge - Sunday September 22, 2002

Old 09-23-2002, 03:18 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru of America Challenge - Sunday September 22, 2002

For those who didn't attend it was a fun event (well fun if you won money =) ). The course was setup so that the people going too fast would get into a crunch into the next section, and the people who were too slow got behind. You had to use speed carefully and in the right places.

Course started out with a sharp left into a 3 cone slalom, into a two cone gate right hand turn which you had to take slow or you would overshoot the 2 cone gate in which you had to come back for. Through another couple cone gate right hand turn. Which lead into 2 two cone gates (offset a bit), then into a pair of 6 cone gates offset of each other into a 4-5 cone slalom. Once out of the slalom you had to turn right and shave off a bit of speed so you wouldn't overshoot the pointer cone. Once pass the pointer cone you enter a series of two cone gates and into a huge Chicago box and to the finish line.

Well I took home 3rd place in PAX and 1st in STS along with $75 from Subaru of America The competitors were tough and I wasn't having good morning runs. I keep tailsliding and oversteering causing me to be all over the place (best run was a 49.xxx). I'm not used to running with 1/2 tank of gas. So on my last run of the morning I pumped up the air pressures all around by 3psi. And it worked. My times drop to a 41.003 by our last run in the morning.

Afternoon times I got faster and faster and by my last run had my times down to 40.5 with almost hitting a seagull

This was enough for 1st place (by .3 seconds) and 3rd in PAX for money money
Old 09-23-2002, 10:06 AM
D16ROCKET

Is that right, you shaved 8 seconds off your morning times? You really must have been all over the place.

I always run with a half tank. Good balance between weight, and ensuring I don't starve the fuel pump.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:08 AM
D16ROCKET

By the way, can you show me how to do PAX. We never do it down here. We just never bring it up. Small region remember. Actually I think we are the smallest region in the continental U.S. (region 45).
Old 09-23-2002, 10:27 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by D16ROCKET
Is that right, you shaved 8 seconds off your morning times? You really must have been all over the place.

I always run with a half tank. Good balance between weight, and ensuring I don't starve the fuel pump.
Well my worse run I got sideways: left, right and then left again and came to a skidding stop with both feet in (on the brake and clutch). Put it back in first and got going again.

1/2 tank is BAD!!! full tank or near empty is better. This is what happened to me. When you have a 1/2 tank and enter a corner fast and hard the gas will slosh to the opposite side you are turning causing almost a late rotation. I ran with 1/4-1/8 a tank and never had problems. The Honda gas tanks are baffled well that I ran with my fuel light on with no starvation. I went to fill up at the gas station and put in 11 gallons and my car holds 12. Fords don't have good baffles. And a lighter car means more power to the ground. 1 gallon of gas is about 6-7 lbs. 12 gallons is 72-84lbs. 2-3 gallons is about 12-18 lbs.

To figure out PAX use this:
http://www.scca-susq.com/pax2002.htm
Take the number and mutiply it by the person's time to figure out where the stand compared to others. It's in the SCCA handbook too.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:54 AM
D16ROCKET

Cool, I'll run the beeatch dry next time. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:23 AM
CivicSiRacer

I even carry a 2 gallon jug of gas just incase I run out I've had to use it before I went home