Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

ls vtech build

Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 AM
92b18hatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls vtec build

im planing on building an ls vtec, i got a b18b1 block and was wondering what head i should use? b16 or a gsr head???also should i keep the bottom end stock or what rout should i go there? it will be going into a 95 ex and i want it to be pretty quick. just lookin for some ideas

Last edited by 92b18hatch; 04-18-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM
ewood87
Eric Wood

so.. your putting a cordless phone on a b-series block? are you going to be using caller id?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

vtec...

and which ever head u can find cheaper...and in better condition... some say b16 some say GSR... either will work, i have read *but yet to have experience myself* that the gsr head can produce more decent numbers...

my crvtec had a b16 head mainly cuz it was cheaper than the GSR head i found h:

as for the rest, id say the usual ARP headstuds, rod bolts, etc....
Old 04-18-2006, 10:44 AM
92b18hatch

yeah im going to be using called id
Old 04-18-2006, 06:35 PM
AcuraFanatic

GS-R head is significantly better than either the B16A or B16B heads.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Sirfallsalot243

Originally Posted by AF
GS-R head is significantly better than either the B16A or B16B heads.
WRONG!!! First of all, the B16B is a CTR head, which comes ported and polished from the factory. That is by far the best head of the three you listed. Secondly, the B16 head is known to flow better in stock condition than the GSR head does. Some mild porting of either head would erase any differences in performance- however stock for stock, the B16 head is a better performer. If the choice is between a B16 or a GSR head, I would go with whichever one is the better deal. It should be known however that the B16 performs a touch better straight out of the box.

As for the bottom end, it all depends on your budget. Building an LSVTEC motor is a motor that is made to REV. Vtec engines have very good top end, and high redlines. The problem here is that the B18B bottom end was not made to rev to 8000+ RPMS. If i built an LSVTEC on an OEM bottom end, I would recommend not to rev past the original redline of the B18B. Building the bottom end (and raising the compression at the same time) can give you far better reliability, as well as power. Forged internals are a good route, but arent always nessecary. IMO, an OEM VTEC bottom end will suffice if you are low on cash. For example, to bump compression on my GSR motor a bit, im installing new rings with B16 pistons.

Remember, for this build you will need (for best results):
A GSR or B16 tranny
A VTEC water pump and timing belt
Any you will want to have your oil galley filler. This is because the B18B does not have a hole for the oil galley, so oil can sit on the head gasket. This risks blowing the gasket. You can have it filled and machined down at any machine shop. If you are having a shop do the whole build- make sure they do this (some shops dont).

As im sure you know, the LSVTEC build is a good way to build power, but it can also be a good way to blow up your motor. Make sure the shop that does it has lots of experience doing it. My shops head mechanic has an LSVTEC daily driver that is turboed under 10PSI of boost. Im comfortable that he knows what hes doing. The whole job should cost you right around $2000 if done at a shop, not including tuning. I would also recommend running a VAFC2 (VAFC is a bit outdated, and has some known problems).

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:50 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Sirfallsalot243
WRONG!!! First of all, the B16B is a CTR head, which comes ported and polished from the factory. That is by far the best head of the three you listed.
Until you show me dyno results proving me otherwise, I've seen the same engine dyno'd with both a B16A and B18C1 head (stock), and the GS-R head made close to an extra 10HP. The B16A head does flow better than either the GS-R or USDM B16A, I do take that back.

Last edited by AcuraFanatic; 04-18-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:02 PM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

dock vtech or sock vtech?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Sirfallsalot243
WRONG!!! First of all, the B16B is a CTR head, which comes ported and polished from the factory. That is by far the best head of the three you listed. Secondly, the B16 head is known to flow better in stock condition than the GSR head does. Some mild porting of either head would erase any differences in performance- however stock for stock, the B16 head is a better performer. If the choice is between a B16 or a GSR head, I would go with whichever one is the better deal. It should be known however that the B16 performs a touch better straight out of the box.

As for the bottom end, it all depends on your budget. Building an LSVTEC motor is a motor that is made to REV. Vtec engines have very good top end, and high redlines. The problem here is that the B18B bottom end was not made to rev to 8000+ RPMS. If i built an LSVTEC on an OEM bottom end, I would recommend not to rev past the original redline of the B18B. Building the bottom end (and raising the compression at the same time) can give you far better reliability, as well as power. Forged internals are a good route, but arent always nessecary. IMO, an OEM VTEC bottom end will suffice if you are low on cash. For example, to bump compression on my GSR motor a bit, im installing new rings with B16 pistons.

Remember, for this build you will need (for best results):
A GSR or B16 tranny
A VTEC water pump and timing belt
Any you will want to have your oil galley filler. This is because the B18B does not have a hole for the oil galley, so oil can sit on the head gasket. This risks blowing the gasket. You can have it filled and machined down at any machine shop. If you are having a shop do the whole build- make sure they do this (some shops dont).

As im sure you know, the LSVTEC build is a good way to build power, but it can also be a good way to blow up your motor. Make sure the shop that does it has lots of experience doing it. My shops head mechanic has an LSVTEC daily driver that is turboed under 10PSI of boost. Im comfortable that he knows what hes doing. The whole job should cost you right around $2000 if done at a shop, not including tuning. I would also recommend running a VAFC2 (VAFC is a bit outdated, and has some known problems).

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions.
for someone that had written alot... well... i just dont trust ur judgement ever since u said use a VAFC2.... for several reasons but mainly cuz the VAFC2 is usually better with the K series h: itll work for the B,H, etc...but better for the K h:
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The GSR head will yield higher compression that will make more power than a half assed factory ported B16 head.