Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

anybody running e85?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Chiovnidca
SOHC Powered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody running e85?

I'm thinking about converting the little bastard over for street duty.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would love to run E85. Too bad it is only available in town to the government only. :sad:

If that is your car in your sig, that could definitely benefit from E85. How much power are you putting down?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Chiovnidca
SOHC Powered

Originally Posted by Provocateur

If that is your car in your sig, that could definitely benefit from E85. How much power are you putting down?
400+ on c16.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Chiovnidca
400+ on c16.
You would be able to run more boost or more timing than pump gas. I'd say its very worth it. Do a little research and see what is mods are necessary to make it a reliable, long lasting setup.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Provocateur
You would be able to run more boost or more timing than pump gas. I'd say its very worth it. Do a little research and see what is mods are necessary to make it a reliable, long lasting setup.
You still must remember the energy/volume of fuel is lower.

In theory I can see it only really making a noticeable difference if the engine is rebuilt with E85 in mind. If I were made of money I'd love to test the theory out, but I'm not.

In the end I'd look into building a full-race engine capable of a minimum octane rating of 100 detuned to run on E85 when race gas is not available or as a DD. This of course would allow a higher static compression ratio.

Pretty much I wouldn't be looking to gain much on E85, but rather on the track.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
18crx
stock booster

well theres a station here and they charge 285 a gallon for e85 and when running boost it takes more to make the same power so its not to much cheaper in my case. theres a dude in vanc wash that is running 85 in his evo and its over 1000 horse so it can work. englishracing
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by sherwood
You still must remember the energy/volume of fuel is lower.
I never forgot that. Larger injectors will be necessary since more E85 is required to maintain stoich than gasoline.

In theory I can see it only really making a noticeable difference if the engine is rebuilt with E85 in mind. If I were made of money I'd love to test the theory out, but I'm not.
Nothing needs to be done to the engine to run E85. Ethanol is corrosive to fuel lines, so those need to be replaced for longetivity. People have been running E85 on completely stock fuel systems with no problems. I would be interested in seeing how that affects long term reliability.

Click here for more information about E85 retrofitting.

In the end I'd look into building a full-race engine capable of a minimum octane rating of 100 detuned to run on E85 when race gas is not available or as a DD. This of course would allow a higher static compression ratio.
E85 has an effective octane of 105. If anything, 100 octane would be detuned. A slightly higher compression ratio is going to cause minimal gains on a F/I setup unless you are running methanol and using an astronomical compression ratio.

Pretty much I wouldn't be looking to gain much on E85, but rather on the track.
Plenty has been gained on the same boost level just switching to E85 and advancing the timing.

Originally Posted by 18crx
well theres a station here and they charge 285 a gallon for e85 and when running boost it takes more to make the same power so its not to much cheaper in my case. theres a dude in vanc wash that is running 85 in his evo and its over 1000 horse so it can work. englishracing
You will use more fuel since the stoich is 9:1 like I said before but it will make more power at the same boost level if tuned to take advantage of it. Compare $2.85/gal to the price to 105 octane and get back to me. It may not be cheaper in the long run but it isn't that much more expensive considering the benefits.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:14 AM
ricehnda94
Mcgyver

that sounds tight, e85 in my civic would be tight or my integra. I'm down to hear how it works out for you man.