Notices

Antifreeze leaking around the water pump area

Old 04-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leaking around the water pump area

So yesterday I was driving my 1995 Civic DX and I notice that the temperature gauge was rising. I opened the hood, opened the coolant reservuar and it was empty with steam coming out of it. I filled it up, opened radiator cap and filled that up as well - used almost the entire bottle of antifreeze. Then I pulled the car away and there was a huge antifreeze spot on the ground, right around where the water pump is. I made it home, and when I got out I saw a trail of antifreeze on the road where I was driving, and. This morning there's was huge paddle of antifreeze underneath the car. It is leaking on the left side of the car, and as far as I know the only thing there that it could leak from is the water pump. I don't think there are any hoses in there that could be leaking.

Right now I have 145k on the car, last time I replaced water pump and timing belt was at 80k, so they both have 65k on them. I am wondering what would be the difference in labor cost is I was to replace the water pump only or if I was to replace both the pump and the timing belt. The Civic is my beater car, so I would like to invest as little as possible. Is there a way to stop the water pump leak without replacing it?

Also, yesterday when I saw the problem it was kind of dark out, so I couldn't see clearly, but when I checked the engine oil it seemed clean, I didn't see any antifreeze in it, but the antifreeze looked and smelled kind of funky, might have been some oil in it, but im not positive. I will check it out when I get home. And while I'm not certain about the oil, the antifreeze also had a lot of small particles in it, almost like sand or metal dust - what the hell could that be?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:03 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Check your radiator first to make sure its not leaking....then look around the water pump and see if its that for sure.....They put sand in the anit-freeze nowadays because most blocks are Aluminum and it helps inhibit corrosion....But i think the "sand" may have taken a toll on your waterpump seal....If it is the waterpump you can just reseal it and see if that works.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
Check your radiator first to make sure its not leaking....then look around the water pump and see if its that for sure.....They put sand in the anit-freeze nowadays because most blocks are Aluminum and it helps inhibit corrosion....But i think the "sand" may have taken a toll on your waterpump seal....If it is the waterpump you can just reseal it and see if that works.
Nah, I checked the radiator, it seems fine and the leak is on the other side... Thanks for letting me know about the sand, I never knew that. The coolant I put in yesterday didn't have any sand in it, it looked very clear, but Im not sure about the old stuff.

I'm gonna bring the car to my mechanic tomorrow to have it checked out, I hope it's just a seal.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Musicman

Never heard of the sand thing, interesting.....
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by Musicman
Never heard of the sand thing, interesting.....
It looks like sand but they say its silica so basically the same thing....it usually accumulates in the bottom of the reservoir
Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

The waterpump has a weeping hole to leak out the coolant when the seal has gone. This is to ensure you change your pump before it seizes on you. So your waterpump is crying "Change Me Now!!" and you need to do just that. Might as well do the timing belt too and front main seal while you're in there.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Ochdx

Yep, I just ordered the following parts from www.ahfmotorsports.com - the pump, timing belt, valve cover and cam seal. I was quoted $125 in labor by local mechanic. I'm gonna replace my alternator as well since I have a 135amp alternator sitting at home.

Did I miss any parts that I should replace as well? I recall something about some pulley or something that needs to be replaced with the timing belt.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Ochdx
Yep, I just ordered the following parts from www.ahfmotorsports.com - the pump, timing belt, valve cover and cam seal. I was quoted $125 in labor by local mechanic. I'm gonna replace my alternator as well since I have a 135amp alternator sitting at home.

Did I miss any parts that I should replace as well? I recall something about some pulley or something that needs to be replaced with the timing belt.
timing belt tension pulley
Old 04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
timing belt tension pulley
Crap - I didnt order that one. Will I be able to find that in a local store?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Ochdx
Crap - I didnt order that one. Will I be able to find that in a local store?
yes..a local...Honda dealership store.