Notices

Need to reset SRS light on 2000 Accord

Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
bknighte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to reset SRS light on 2000 Accord

Hi. I have a 2000 Accord EX V6 coupe, and I need to reset the SRS light. Is there a connector that I can use a jumper wire on? Where is it located?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is the SRS light on?

and no only the dealer can fix it and that will require them to most likely replace components until it is fixed. and if it can't be fixed the car will be considered unsafe to drive.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by sherwood
why is the SRS light on?

and no only the dealer can fix it and that will require them to most likely replace components until it is fixed. and if it can't be fixed the car will be considered unsafe to drive.
Yessir....I would take it in..Caue if you get in an accident no airbags :noes:
Old 04-05-2006, 12:26 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

people usually trigger the SRS when removing the front seats and turning on the ignition. Since the seats have airbags, the system senses a disconnect and turns on the SRS light.

there's a way to jumper a plug using a paperclip, but those directions are somewhere in the forum.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
bknighte

The light came on after I replaced the alternator. I think the old alternator caused the light to come on when it went bad. I've heard that power surges in the Hondas can cause this.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by bknighte
The light came on after I replaced the alternator. I think the old alternator caused the light to come on when it went bad. I've heard that power surges in the Hondas can cause this.
check your SRS fuses. If there's a fuse break, this would cause the light too.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Azndude1983

Wrong!!! That doesn't mean you can't fix it yourself. I had an 01 Accord and had the same problem with the SRS light came on. I didn't remember that i've replaced anything for it to came on. Anyways, i fixed it with the info below, hope that will help you too and for the god sake, same you 95 bucks just for the Honda Dealer to get a diagnostic test the car...they will rip you off.

Here's the info:
SRS Light Fixed,
SRS Light Reset MES Fix - Legit Documentation
« » 10:32 PM 8/30/2004

To erase the DTC memory and reset the SRS indicator light, first locate the yellow plastic Memory Erase Signal (MES) connector:
-The SRS connector is plugged into the upper right corner of the driver's side under dash fuse panel or behind the driver's side left kick panel.

The two wire color combinations found housed in the MES yellow connector should be as follows:
-2.2L engines: Gray/Gray or Black/White
-2.3L engines: Green/Green or Black/White
-V6 engines: Green/Green or Black/(light green-black)

Once the MES connector has been properly located and identified, proceed as follows.
1. Verify and make sure the ignition is switched OFF.
2. Connect the 2 pins in the MES with a paper clip or metal object.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON.
4. The SRS Indicator Light should come on for 6 seconds and then go off. Remove the (paper clip) within 4 seconds of when the SRS Light goes off.
5. The SRS Indicator Light should come back on agian. Reconnect the (paper clip) within 4 seconds of the time when the SRS Indicator Light comes back on.
6. The SRS light should go off. Remove the (paper clip) from the MES connector within 4 seconds of the light going off.
7. If the process was succesfull, the SRS Indicator Light will blink two times.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF and wait 10 seconds.
9. Turn the ignition switch ON and the SRS indicator lamp should come on for 6 seconds and then go off if all the codes have been successfully cleared.
10. If the SRS Indicator Light does not go off, repeat the erasing the DTCs procedure. If after several attempts to erase the DTCs the SRS Indicator light stars on, use blink codes to help locate the problem in the SRS System. Inspect and make sure that all the components and electrical connectors are properly installed and connected.
11. Once the DTCs have been successfully erased, reinstall the yellow MES connector to its holder in the fuse panel.

This documentation comes from: Chilton's Honda Accord/Prelude 1996-00 Repair Manual. (Covers all US and Canadian models of Honda Accord and Prelude.)

Hope this help. Also, yes you can use a Paper Clip.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:54 AM
turismo29

Originally Posted by Azndude1983
Wrong!!! That doesn't mean you can't fix it yourself. I had an 01 Accord and had the same problem with the SRS light came on. I didn't remember that i've replaced anything for it to came on. Anyways, i fixed it with the info below, hope that will help you too and for the god sake, same you 95 bucks just for the Honda Dealer to get a diagnostic test the car...they will rip you off.
agreed, just use the instructions to reset the srs code.I did this on my 01 accord too, it works. If it lights up again i would definitely go to the dealership for them to check. My aunt just got her 01 accord seat belt buckle replace for free from the dealearship when her srs light came on. But yours may be something else.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:26 AM
DittoDude

I just used Azndude's procedure on my 2001 Accord LX V6 and it worked great.

The plug is located under the driver side dash, behind the fuse compartment. There are two yellow plugs, it's the smaller one on top. The plug has a green wire and a black wire with a green trace.

There is also a Warranty Extension for SRS lights on various Hondas, it is number 06-009 dated March 14, 2006.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:57 AM
RichKing

SRS PLUG..... How in the hell do you get the plug to disconnect.... I have been up under my dash a dozen times and I have tried everything I can think of to release the plug so I can jump the plug.... I sure as hell dont want to break the damn thing trying to get it apart..... Surely there must be some kind of release but I cant find it..... HELP WHATS THE SECRET