Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

XM radio free trial

Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 AM
chambemd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio free trial

Hi folks,

I searched on this but didn't see any topics related to it. I purchased a new Accord Coupe in November of 05 and got my 3 free months of XM radio. Accordingly, it should have expired in late February...but it's stil working! It's been more than 100 days/3 months and I'm sure they don't have my credit card information. Did I just get lucky or is this standard for the free trials?

Matt
Old 03-15-2006, 05:57 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably just lucky How do you like it?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

If you used a credit card to activate the account, you're being charged for it. The service only stops until you tell it to, otherwise, it's assumed you want to continue.

There's also a bug in the XM system. If you terminate your service, a cancel signal will be sent for 30 days. After those 30 days, the signal stops.

Assuming you haven't turned on your tuner, to accept the stop signal, it should never be deactivated. I haven't tried this, but I'll let you know how it goes soon.

I nuked my service back in December and will try to turn on my radio for the first time since, in April.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:17 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I purchased an XM tuner on ebay, the alpine unit... it was used. When I got it and hooked it all up it was working right away... all the channels. I called XM and gave them the serial number and they told me that tuner was NOT activated... I had it for a month or 2 and it never stopped working, then re-sold the system as I wasnt all that impressed with it. Out of the 120 channels, i only found 3 that I liked and they all played the same damn thing over and over... it sucked if you ask me.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:02 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
I purchased an XM tuner on ebay, the alpine unit... it was used. When I got it and hooked it all up it was working right away... all the channels. I called XM and gave them the serial number and they told me that tuner was NOT activated... I had it for a month or 2 and it never stopped working, then re-sold the system as I wasnt all that impressed with it. Out of the 120 channels, i only found 3 that I liked and they all played the same damn thing over and over... it sucked if you ask me.
What channels did you like?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

dont exactly remember... been a couple months since I had it.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
dont exactly remember... been a couple months since I had it.
What genre? I mostly listen to classic and alternative and i can't remember the last time they played the same song twice within a few hours. The pop stations repeat, but they're just trying to imitate FM anyway.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM
chambemd

Default the free trial...

Yeah, they're definitely not charging me. The dealer actually activated the free trial while I was with him at the dealership and a credit card did not change hands. Everything I read said it should have stopped at 3 months, so I gess I might just be lucky :-)

The variety compared to traditional radio is great, but I'd say there are only 5 or 6 stations that I listen to regularly. I don't think I'd renew it with my currnet driving habits, but if I was going to be in the car for an hour or two each day, then I think it would likely be worth the couple of dollars a month...
Old 03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
ItsaHonda

I too bought my car back in early November and got the 3 mos. free subscription from Honda and it's still activated almost 5 mos. later. I guess they forgot about us:dunno:
Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by chambemd
Yeah, they're definitely not charging me. The dealer actually activated the free trial while I was with him at the dealership and a credit card did not change hands. Everything I read said it should have stopped at 3 months, so I gess I might just be lucky :-)

The variety compared to traditional radio is great, but I'd say there are only 5 or 6 stations that I listen to regularly. I don't think I'd renew it with my currnet driving habits, but if I was going to be in the car for an hour or two each day, then I think it would likely be worth the couple of dollars a month...
You bought a car from them and you dont think they have your credit card number?? They know more about you than you know.