Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Autocross rules/regs question

Old 09-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Paul
Eater of Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross rules/regs question

i've learned how to heel and toe pretty well and i've been keeping up w/ the WRC quite a bit. it has sparked my interest in maybe doing some local autocrossing. i was wondering what are the requirements and regulations. actually i was wondering what class i would be in and what cars i would run against? here's my setup:

95 civic lx sedan
b18b swap
ground control coilovers
CAI, Catback
17" tuners in rear, 16" tuners in front
stage II exedy organic clutch

i think that's all that may be pertinant to classifying? any info would be helpful thanks
Old 09-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

I think the engine swap puts you in street modified....very tough class full of V8's and the like h:

There's a link to SCCA car classes off their SoloII section:

www.scca.org

Shingo
Old 09-18-2002, 05:45 PM
slow_civic

i was told to run SM in a civic/gsr
Old 09-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Paul
Eater of Rice

i checked out the site this is what i came up with: i would be in SOLO II, and there are two potential categories:

Street Touring®
A new concept started in 1997, which is optional for Regions to offer at the local level and is part of selected National events. This category allows sedans (four seaters) with a maximum displacement of 3.1L, normally aspirated. This category is for the popular street cruisers with lowered suspension, air filter systems, and wider wheels. The category consists of two classes; STS for street tired cars and STR for "R" compound tires. Please refer to the Solo Rules for details.

Street Modified
Another optional class for Regions at the local level, but offered at selected National Solo events. Similar to Street Touring® except that extensive drivetrain and suspension modifications are allowed. Please refer to the Solo Rules for details.

street touring sounds like it's right up my alley. i tried looking up the rules but you have to buy a cd/book etc... i just want some general information before i actually start to get into it. anyone else know what kind of competition i'm running against? any suggestions on other mods i may consider before starting up? ANY info would be awesome. i wanna slowly get out of the drag scene and get into the REAL art of racing. thanks
Old 09-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Hrm...maybe I should clarify.

The second you swapped in the b18b integra engine, you were put in street modified. Basically an engine swap from a different car will put you in SM. Street modified is a tough class because they allow for massive weight reductions. Unless you do some serious weight reduction you probably won't be competitive, but it's all for the learning anyways.

I run in STS...basic bolt-on mods, suspension, no weight reduction, BONE-STOCK engine internals (no cams, forced induction, etc.). If you still had your stock civic engine (with no internal modifications) you would also be running in STS. STS is a pretty "tame" class...since most modifications are restricted to bolt-ons you don't see crazy gutted out racers.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just go out and have fun. Most hard-co autocrossers will tell you to stay stock as long as possible and only add modifications when you've reached a plateau, but I know its tough to resists adding on modifications.

Shingo