Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Questions About Amp Install

Old 03-12-2006, 06:10 AM
97CivicSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions About Amp Install

I installed the wiring for an amp yesterday and just had a couple of questions about my install.

1. I ran the remote wire and the 12v wire down the same side of the car and the RCA's on the other side. Is this ok or will I notice problems?

2. Where is the best place to attach the ground wire in a 2005 Civic Coupe?

3. Is it absolutley necessary to have a inline fuse if you run 8awg wire? If it is does it have to be within a certain length from the battery?

I havent had the chance to use the amp yet as I am missing a piece to connect the power, ground and remote wires to the actual amp.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by 97CivicSI
I installed the wiring for an amp yesterday and just had a couple of questions about my install.

1. I ran the remote wire and the 12v wire down the same side of the car and the RCA's on the other side. Is this ok or will I notice problems?

2. Where is the best place to attach the ground wire in a 2005 Civic Coupe?

3. Is it absolutley necessary to have a inline fuse if you run 8awg wire? If it is does it have to be within a certain length from the battery?

I havent had the chance to use the amp yet as I am missing a piece to connect the power, ground and remote wires to the actual amp.
1. Should be ok. It wouldnt be something I would worry about. Just make sure all your other connections are tight.

2. Part of the chassis that is bare metal. I am not too familiar with that model.

3. YES, you always have to have a fuse on a power source. Make it at most 18" from the battery. Closer, the better.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:55 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

if the amp is being used for just a sub, it dosent matter where the RCA cables are run.... if the amp is to be used with main speakers, its best to seperate it from the power wire.

For your ground, just keep the cable as short as possible.

As for the fuse, definite yes, that is your only protection against a fire... if an 8g power wire grounds out thats gonna get real hot real fast = fire. Any power wire in your car should ALWAYS be fused... no matter what gauge... an unfused 20g wire can easily start a fire as well.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:58 AM
97CivicSI

Ok great thanks guys.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:47 AM
hhh711

to answer your last question, about the groud, fold you seats down , and pull up the trunk carpeting, im sure there is some metal there. Scratch off any paint, then use a drill to drill in a tapping screw for your ground.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:07 PM
dleccord

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
if the amp is being used for just a sub, it dosent matter where the RCA cables are run.... if the amp is to be used with main speakers, its best to seperate it from the power wire.

For your ground, just keep the cable as short as possible.

As for the fuse, definite yes, that is your only protection against a fire... if an 8g power wire grounds out thats gonna get real hot real fast = fire. Any power wire in your car should ALWAYS be fused... no matter what gauge... an unfused 20g wire can easily start a fire as well.
never had problems with running RCAS AND POWER wires the same side; only happens to poor rca quality and poor connections(ie. ground)
Old 03-31-2006, 01:22 PM
dread_accord

1. that is teh best way to do it and no you should have no noise.

2. behind the seat is good try to keep it away from your power.

3.yes must always fuse poweer wires and it should be 6-10 inches 18 is just to far leavs to much room for fire.

i do this for a living and i see that alot of ppl know what they are talking about so you are in good hands here.