Notices

When to resurface or replace brake rotor?

Old 03-12-2006, 12:24 AM
spooken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to resurface or replace brake rotor?

Hi guys,
been searching around the net, but haven't been able to find a really good indicator when to change or resurface the rotor. I know it's time to replace my brake pad (my car just hit 40k). Is there any indication if the rotor needs resurface or I DO need to resurface or replace it everytime I replace the brake pad? I'm doing this DIY for first time that's why the question. ^.^

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 AM
NOSkweezePSI

Whenever the pads are changed the rotors are suppose to be inspected. They should be measured with a micrometer and compare the readings to the discard measurement stamped into the rotor. If the rotor is thick enough, then they should be resurfaced anytime you change pads especially if they have grooves cut into them. If they are too thin, then they need to be replaced.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 AM
desmonsm

Originally Posted by NOSkweezePSI
...they should be resurfaced anytime you change pads...
I had my rear pads replaced this week at the dealership, and I asked them about this specifically. The said they don't resurface the rear rotors when they put on new pads. Does this sound right??
Old 03-12-2006, 08:51 AM
spooken

Originally Posted by NOSkweezePSI
Whenever the pads are changed the rotors are suppose to be inspected. They should be measured with a micrometer and compare the readings to the discard measurement stamped into the rotor. If the rotor is thick enough, then they should be resurfaced anytime you change pads especially if they have grooves cut into them. If they are too thin, then they need to be replaced.
Where do I usually see this "discard measurement" on the rotor. Is it on the side facing outside or inside?

One more question:
I have the 03 LX, so only the front ones are ABS. Is it any more difficult to do the rear brakes (drum brakes)?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
NOSkweezePSI

Depending on the vehicle some places dont turn rotors anymore they just replace them. They just don't want to be liable for any potential failure. For instance my wife has a 01 330ci and when her brakes went bad manufacturer specs said that the pads, rotors, and abs sensors had to be all replaced. Front and rear had to be changed out and the parts were over $500. Its ridiculus but it was the "safer" solution. Originally I just wanted to replace the pads but it is my wife's car and I didn't want to take any chances. As far as the discard specs, its usually found on the inside of the rotor that faces the hub so you will have to pull of the rotor to see it. If you have access to a manufacturers database or some other program like Alldata or Mitchells On Demand then you can find it there too.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:13 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desmonsm
I had my rear pads replaced this week at the dealership, and I asked them about this specifically. The said they don't resurface the rear rotors when they put on new pads. Does this sound right??
You shouldn't have to unless the rotors are warped. Resurfacing should be avoided.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:01 PM
spooken

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
You shouldn't have to unless the rotors are warped. Resurfacing should be avoided.
Mind sharing why resurfacing should be avoided?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:31 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by spooken
Why remove material making your rotor thinner and more succeptible to warping if it isn't warped?

My stock rotors lasted 60-70K or so miles, when they became a little warped and caused some vibration under high speed braking I just replaced them. You can get quality rotors for cheap enough that I didn't consider having them resurfaced...for a little more money I can have new Brembo blanks and not have to worry about it for possibly another 60K miles.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:27 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by spooken
Why would you possibly pay $25/rotor to have a professional remove material when you could buy brand new rotors and not take the chance for not very much more? Plus you run a much much higher chance of warping them very quickly. I swear, resurfacing is the biggest scam going aside from 3k mile oil changes. Dishonest dealerships love it, great way to bring in a customer more than once for the same problem.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Why would you possibly pay $25/rotor to have a professional remove material when you could buy brand new rotors and not take the chance for not very much more? Plus you run a much much higher chance of warping them very quickly. I swear, resurfacing is the biggest scam going aside from 3k mile oil changes. Dishonest dealerships love it, great way to bring in a customer more than once for the same problem.
i work at a Lexus dealership, we resurface the front rotors everytime the pads are changed unless the rotors are rotted to hell. then we replace them.just about 90% of the time when the front pads need to be changed, the rotors are warped anyway. its actually cheaper for our customers to get their rotors cut than to replace them from the dealership.