Notices

Brake rotor outer part chipping off

Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
humblehyper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotor outer part chipping off

Guys, my right brake rotor is chipping off on the outer part, the left side rotor is OK without chipping. What could be causing this? BTW I have 2000 honda accord LX, the rotors and brake pads are brand new, just installed a few weeks ago.

Im bringing it back to the shop but I'd like to get an idea on what is causing this, so I dont get fooled by the shop where I got the rotors and brake pads.

Thanks much guys.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

probably defective product, def get it checked out.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
humblehyper

Originally Posted by wedley2
probably defective product, def get it checked out.
If indeed the rotor is defective, should I ask them to replace both? Cause if he only replace one side, that would make the thickness of the rotors uneven on both sides. Should I demand them to replace both? Even though I dont see any sign of chipping off on the left side?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by humblehyper
If indeed the rotor is defective, should I ask them to replace both? Cause if he only replace one side, that would make the thickness of the rotors uneven on both sides. Should I demand them to replace both? Even though I dont see any sign of chipping off on the left side?
is it chipping on the very side where the pads dont touch?

id have them replace both...sure.
but a few weeks isnt going to change the thickness by much if any.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 PM
humblehyper

Originally Posted by wedley2
is it chipping on the very side where the pads dont touch?
Yes its the side where the pads and rotor dont touch.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by humblehyper
Yes its the side where the pads and rotor dont touch.
so it is consistent chipping? bring a hammer to it and see if it'll break, lol
Old 03-03-2006, 04:16 AM
flyromeo3

i would just take it to the shop that installed them.
I wouldnt mess around with it.
What kind of rotors are these. OEM? Napa?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn guys, don't give bad advice to people...I think he's just talking about rusting. If it's not where I think it is then it's obviously defective, but I think it's normal.

It's completely normal for a rotor to chip on the side or inbetween the two pieces of solid steel. This is caused by road salt and water...since it's not stainless steel or any sort of protected alloy, it WILL rust and chip off. If you spray your rotors with water and let them sit for a week you'd notice that they'd be rusty as all hell. That's what happens to the outer circumference of the rotor, except that it has no pad to wipe away moisture and prevent rusting.

My rotors have been on for 50k miles/2 winters and they look like hell between the solid discs...ridiculously rusted and chipped away, but as long as it's not on the disc surface it doesn't matter a bit.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Driverman5777

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Damn guys, don't give bad advice to people...I think he's just talking about rusting. If it's not where I think it is then it's obviously defective, but I think it's normal.

It's completely normal for a rotor to chip on the side or inbetween the two pieces of solid steel. This is caused by road salt and water...since it's not stainless steel or any sort of protected alloy, it WILL rust and chip off. If you spray your rotors with water and let them sit for a week you'd notice that they'd be rusty as all hell. That's what happens to the outer circumference of the rotor, except that it has no pad to wipe away moisture and prevent rusting.

My rotors have been on for 50k miles/2 winters and they look like hell between the solid discs...ridiculously rusted and chipped away, but as long as it's not on the disc surface it doesn't matter a bit.
Read the post he has had these rotors on for a few weeks they shoulden't be chipping after that short of a time period.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:02 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driverman5777
Read the post he has had these rotors on for a few weeks they shoulden't be chipping after that short of a time period.
You're from Maryland. If he's from where I am or any other place that averages 140 inches of snow a year and the temps are warm enough for the DOT to use salt, the inner parts of the rotors will be oxidizing within a week.