Notices

power steering problems or something else?

Old 02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
desii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering problems or something else?

hi, i had a question, i have a 1994 honda accord lx that i got a few months ago.. when i drive my car, the steering sort of change recently. it went from being modertly rough to really loose.. meaning the steering wheel turns or moves really easy with out too much force. also it seems that when i go over a bump or a small pot hole in the road, the steering starts to turn alot it keeps moving... do you guys think its my power steering, i feel that im not in control as much when i drive my car... also my front left tire weights fell off, could it be that? i am going to reblanace them this week... any thoughts on whats wrong? thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 10:10 AM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

you might want to check your tie rods and ball joints

Raise and support vehicle so that left tire is off the ground.
Then repeat on other side

To check tie rods:
Take hands and place them at 9 and 3 oclock and wiggle tire.
If tire wiggles then inspect the tie rods visibely to see if it the inner(closer to engine compartment) or outer(closer to wheel) tierod that is moving.
To check ball joints:
Take hands and place them at 12 and 6 oclock and wiggle tire(might need a strong movement). It also might help to use a prybar under the tire and try to raise the tire so leverage helps diagnose cars wieght. Again if the suspension components move excessivly then they must be replaced.

Hopefully it helps you

JZ
Old 02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
desii

thanks imma go give it a try, but when i wiggle it do i wiggle it up and down llike in the direcation the tire is going to move, or in and out like the tire is turning? i hope that question made sense
Old 02-26-2006, 02:49 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

for the tierods wiggle the tire like it is turning
Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
desii

hey

alright so i jacked up my car today. and i wiggled my tires from the 9 and 3 o clock possition. the tire was moving. like moved till it hit a certain point, meaning it didnt turn all the way around. is the tire not suppose to move AT ALL? i only did this to the left tire. i didnt get a chance to actualy look at the tie rods. ill be honest, i dont know where they are. do you think that replacing them will cost much? thanks agian for the help!