Notices

Shifter doesn't budge! 99 Accord Coupe

Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
SAMTRON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter doesn't budge! 99 Accord Coupe

Well, I got stuck on the other side of the city today. The car was working fine all day long, until I pulled up to 7 Eleven to get some gas. Put it in park, get out, fuel up, get back in, and the shifter is stuck in park! No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to budge until about 20 minutes later. While pressing on the break and pulling at the shifter, I heard an "Airy" noise comming from the floor area while I pressed on the break. I can't explain it with any other words besides "hissing" or "whispering".. Not too long afterwards it came loose. When I got home I put it in park again, and it did the same thing so I went inside. I have no idea. Any ideas before I go to a mechanic and they tell me I have to rebuild the transmission? I don't know very much about cars :P
P.S. it's an automatic

Samantha
Old 02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Welcome!

The noise from the pedal area might just be the usual noise it makes when you push the pedal hard and fast... its just the hydraulics of the brake system.

When you push the brake pedal, do you hear the solenoid in the center console "click"? There is a "lock" that wont allow the shifter to come out of park unless you press the brake, its a safety feature. It is very possible that the solenoid is bad, there is a loose connection, or its dirty and not allowing it to operate properly.

Next time this happens to you, remove the small oval shaped cover on the shift trim, this is the key override opening. Insert your key and push down on it, then try to shift the car from park... set the e-brake first to make sure the car wont roll. If the car shifts ok then it is a problem with the solenoid.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
SAMTRON

Default Thank you

Thanks so much for the welcome and the awesome advice and quick reply!

I didn't hear a clicking or didn't notice it when I was trying to get it out of park, so you must be right about the solenoid thing. Is it expencive to replace?

edit: I also couldn't find the key override opening. I have no idea what you're talking about. Someone told me that but I couldn't find it so I gave up. Are you talking about the place where it says "P-N-D4-D3" blah blah? Sorry I'm so car illeterate!!!

Samantha

Last edited by SAMTRON; 02-21-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's talking about the outer balck trim piece i marked in red... gently pry it off with a flat screwdriver(wrapped in something to prevent scratches), and ther should be a slot next to the P that bypasses the shift lock when you stick your key in it.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
SAMTRON

thank you SumAccordGuy94 for helping me!!!

You guys this guy is really helpful!!!!

also thank you janiVI for your input aswell!!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to replace the shift lock solenoid in the transmission shifter housing.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:41 AM
accordvtec77

It may also be a failing brake light switch..let's not be so quick to condemn the release solenoid. Easiest way to see if it's the switch...do your brake lights work when it won't come out of park?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
spitbawl

Default My break lights wont work and my car will not shift out of park

I have a 2000 Acura TL. My break lights wont work and my car will not shift out of park. I can shift out of park by pressing the override button.

here is what I have tried/checked:

I checked all bulbs
I checked all fuses (driver side, passenger side, and under hood fuse box's)
I replaced the stoplight switch on brake arm
I adjusted the stoplight switch
I checked wiring in the tail lights and 3rd stoplight

what am i missing?