Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

my spring/shock combo

Old 09-17-2002, 10:02 AM
whiteyG2RS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my spring/shock combo

I've got a 91 integra hb with h&r sports, koni yellows, and ST front and rear sway bars. I haven't raced with the yellows yet but the last time I raced I still had more understeer than I wanted. The spring rates are 340/186, f/r. Am I correct in thinking that a stiffer rear creates more oversteer? I believe I could probably put the stock front sway bar back on to get less understeer. But, I don't want to do that. My question is would putting the koni yellows all the way stiff in the rear and leaving them soft in the front make my car handle better? Or is the only real way to get my car turning in the turns is to get different springs, like neuspeed sports (340/230) or neuspeed race springs (500/450)?? TIA.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Hey there,

So you experienced understeer on the stock shocks?

Your assumption is correct; stiffer rear contributes to oversteer. Once you get your yellows on I'm sure your car will handle much differently. Full stiff is likely to cause damage to the shock; I ran 1.5 turns in front and 1.75 turns in the rear on my yellows (on GC's) and I was oversteering on the entry of turns quite a bit.

Putting the front sway back on will increase understeer; but I think you should drive with the yellows on and see how your car handles from there. Changing out the springs would be my next guess (lots of guys run custom Eibach rates via Ground Control)

Shingo
Old 09-17-2002, 11:44 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Hrm not all your information is correct.

What tire pressures are you running? And what tires? A stiffer rear (shocks, springs, and/or sway bars) will increase oversteer as will more or less tire pressure.

Putting the OEM front sway bar back on will reduce understeer and balance out the car more but I suggest keeping the aftermarket pieces on.

I turn my Koni Yellows all the way stiff rear, and 1 turn front.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Whoops, I thought he meant put on a bigger front sway versus the one he had on now...my bad..

I have been told repeatedly not to set the konis on full stiff but I guess that's a myth...

Shingo
Old 09-17-2002, 05:10 PM
whiteyG2RS

Thanks for your input guys. I installed the yellows on my car about two weeks ago. I was told to keep them all the way soft for a few weeks to let them settle or whatever. My tires; well I have kumho ecsta 712's in 205/45/16 mounted on 16x7" ADR DTM rims. The rims weigh in at 19lbs each which I know aren't ideal but I ran out of money to get a seperate set of racing rims/tires. I usually run them about what I have them at on the streets which is usually 35 psi front and back. So, more pressure in the rears might help me out then? Maybe like 30/35psi for f/r and set the rear yellows about a turn firm and leave the fronts soft? I've got a race in a few weeks and I'll mess with the tire pressure and yellows settings. Anything else I should try?

BTW, I do have a set of stock 14" alloys with something like 185 or 195/60/14 tires on them. Should I even give them a shot since they aren't really performance tires nor are they wide enough, or should I try them out since they are about 5 pounds lighter? TIA.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:43 PM
whiteyG2RS

If I ever did scrounge up the money for some race tires, I was planning on getting azenis in 195/60/14. I can get them for about $200 mounted and balanced. Yay or nay?
Oh and I added a link to a webpage a sort of started making, it has all my mods that are either on the car now or will be in a week or two. As far as SCCA Solo II events go, what class am I going to be in?? I've tried going to the scca website and trying to figure out what class I would compete in but I'm kinda clueless when they get into all the rules and stuff.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:05 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR

I have been told repeatedly not to set the konis on full stiff but I guess that's a myth...

Shingo
just don't do it all the time. for occational track events, thats fine.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:28 PM
D16ROCKET

Looking at your website...........STS would be the class you would run in.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:03 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by white_n_slow

just don't do it all the time. for occational track events, thats fine.
Right don't ride everything on FULL STIFF. Autocrosses and track days is fine to run full stiff.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:44 AM
D16ROCKET

Just how stiff are those Yellows when they are full stiff actually. An old friend of mine had em and I never bothered to ride with him to find out. My illuminas blow ass, and I think my fronts are starting to go anyway (they are making a compressing air sound over undulations, particularly on the downstroke)

Quick Reply: my spring/shock combo