Notices

Heater Question, 94 Accord

Old 02-18-2006, 03:32 PM
JerryS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Question, 94 Accord

It's been cold recently and I've noticed that my accord's heater isn't up to par. I have to set the heater to it's fullest setting and all I'm getting is warm air, enough to be comfortable up front but not the passengers in the rear unless I have the blower on 4. My brother's 98 accord, on ther other hand, is an inferno if it's set on it's hightest setting. Is there something I can do to increase the heat in mine or is it just that older accords are just that way?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:46 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it get warmer when its idling and cool down as your driving?

May be a slightly stuck open thermostat.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:54 PM
JerryS

Nope... takes a while to get it warm (8 - 15 mins) on a cold start and remains warm even at idle and as I am driving. I can place my hand on the heater vent and be comfrontable leaving it there while I keep the heat at its highest setting. You would think it would start to become uncomfrontable at some point but nope, just warm. It would be nice if it was HOT since it's on the highest setting.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:44 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

what does the temperature gauge read? Check your coolant too, make sure its topped off.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM
honda guy

Hmmm. My next guess would be an out of adjustment water valve and or blend door. If the door isn't adjusted right when your on full heat it may not be full closed. kind of like the front door to your house. So the heat is being cooled by the cold outside air making it just warm. Or the water valve could have broken internally.

To rule out the water valve you need to undo the cable that goes to it. try to turn it by hand. It should only turn so far. Kind of like a ball style water valve in your house. If it spinns around and around its bad.

Then read the attachment and try adjusting the cables. Disconnect the cables under the passenger dash and then turn the knob to full heat then fallow the adjustments. I like to work my way down the line doing the blend door first then go under the hood and set the water valve.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air mix adjustment.pdf (46.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
stereo

first check your heater knob and see if it's cracked if so replace it if it's ok then proceed to trouble shooting.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:08 AM
JerryS

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
what does the temperature gauge read? Check your coolant too, make sure its topped off.
The gauge is reading half way between the mid and lower part of the instrument. As for the coolant, it's fine and is topped off.

Originally Posted by honda guy
Hmmm. My next guess would be an out of adjustment water valve and or blend door. If the door isn't adjusted right when your on full heat it may not be full closed. kind of like the front door to your house. So the heat is being cooled by the cold outside air making it just warm. Or the water valve could have broken internally.

To rule out the water valve you need to undo the cable that goes to it. try to turn it by hand. It should only turn so far. Kind of like a ball style water valve in your house. If it spinns around and around its bad.

Then read the attachment and try adjusting the cables. Disconnect the cables under the passenger dash and then turn the knob to full heat then fallow the adjustments. I like to work my way down the line doing the blend door first then go under the hood and set the water valve.
I will check this out as soon as the weather warms up a bit, thanks.

Originally Posted by stereo
first check your heater knob and see if it's cracked if so replace it if it's ok then proceed to trouble shooting.
Heater knob is fine.