Notices

stumped on a 1998 accord ex tranny problem

Old 02-18-2006, 10:50 AM
dealthatstuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumped on a 1998 accord ex tranny problem

ok, well, i just bought this car like yesterday, its beautiful. But, the transmission is slipping between every gear... but once its in to gear it runs like hell, doesnt seem to be that the transmissions going bad... i heard that all of the controls are on the outside of the tranny. 1st gear to 2nd gear adjustments 2nd to 3rd gear adjustments and so on. This is the second transmission thats been in it and its doing the same exact thing... didnt change a thing. Does anyone have any ideas.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have a bad trans as the controls shouldn't cause it to slip usally controls will cause it to not shift at all or late you would also get a CEL as the computer won't like it and unless the trans is rebuilt at the dealer or some that rebuilds them for the dealer they more them likely just patched it.we had alot of problems with aamco and other rebuilders not fixing the problem . honda trans. are expensive to rebuild right.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:22 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

I'd bring it right back to where ever you bought it and show them the transmission problem. Changing gearings and settings isn't something that can be done or should be done at all.

You have a broken transmission on a car that you just purchased. This problem will only get worse until you can't even get into gear.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:48 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by dealthatstuff
ok, well, i just bought this car like yesterday, its beautiful. But, the transmission is slipping between every gear... but once its in to gear it runs like hell, doesnt seem to be that the transmissions going bad... i heard that all of the controls are on the outside of the tranny. 1st gear to 2nd gear adjustments 2nd to 3rd gear adjustments and so on. This is the second transmission thats been in it and its doing the same exact thing... didnt change a thing. Does anyone have any ideas.
Why did you buy a car with ad bad tranny Honda automatics are basically automated manuals, meaning they have seperate clutch packs for each gear. If every gear is slipping, your tranny is simply bad and the gears and/or clutch packs are worn beyond service limits. The only thing you can do is replace it, which will run you ~$2500 installed for a new one at a Honda dealer or ~1000 installed for a used tranny off ebay installed at a local shop.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:52 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Why did you buy a car with ad bad tranny
eBay purchase? bought it without a test drive?

I wonder why too.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:01 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
eBay purchase? bought it without a test drive?

I wonder why too.
Yeah I didn't think of an ebay purchase. But there are so many Accords out there it wouldn't be hard to find one in your neighborhood for sale.

If it's a V6, which I suspect it is, how many miles does it have on it? My best guess is this car needs some work (which you can do yourself fairly easily)...there were a couple trouble spots in the 98-02 V6 that need to be taken care of.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 AM
dealthatstuff

Default no

i did test drive the car, i cant really tell if theres somthing wrong with the tranny or its just the way it is... ive been driving it now for about 1000 miles, i have fully warranty on the car for 6 months, engine and tranny, so im not an idiot for buying it, the car is in excellent condition, leather interior, all electric 4 cyl vtech 2.3, sun roof, cd player etc... I noticed that it sometimes sticks and sometimes it doesnt, the tranny has like delayed shifting, as im giving it gas its scootin along, i have to let off the gas for it to shift the next gear and once my foot has totally let off the pedal it takes a second or so to shift gears, then its fine. I dont know besides for that i love the car, so im probably gonna keep it, for the next 5 months theres a warranty on the engine and tranny, so if it breaks... fuck it
Old 02-28-2006, 05:42 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by dealthatstuff
i did test drive the car, i cant really tell if theres somthing wrong with the tranny or its just the way it is... ive been driving it now for about 1000 miles, i have fully warranty on the car for 6 months, engine and tranny, so im not an idiot for buying it, the car is in excellent condition, leather interior, all electric 4 cyl vtech 2.3, sun roof, cd player etc... I noticed that it sometimes sticks and sometimes it doesnt, the tranny has like delayed shifting, as im giving it gas its scootin along, i have to let off the gas for it to shift the next gear and once my foot has totally let off the pedal it takes a second or so to shift gears, then its fine. I dont know besides for that i love the car, so im probably gonna keep it, for the next 5 months theres a warranty on the engine and tranny, so if it breaks... fuck it
vtec dude, not vtech. vtech is a company that makes telephones

Take it back. The tranny is going to go in 6.5 months. They're not supposed to drive like that.