Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Tire pressures

Old 09-16-2002, 08:40 PM
D16ROCKET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressures

What are all you guys running for tire pressures. I have found over the course of more than a year that my Kumhos would roll perfect at about 31-32 psi cold both front and rear. I might take a pound or two out here and there depending on the course. I see a lot of guys running like 45 psi up front. I have never had to go that high, so what is the deal. Do I just drive that gracefully (while still slaughtering the comp) or am I missing something? And yes my tires have worn down even.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:43 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

For my Kumho 712s 215/40x16" on 16x7.5" rims I used 42 front and 37 rear for neutral handling. The only way to figure out the correct pressures is to use a Pyrometer to measure temperature across the tread.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:47 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Tire pressures vary with track conditions, course layout and driving style. If your pressures work for you and don't cause heavy un-even wear, there's not much reason to wonder why.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:18 PM
D16ROCKET

We race every month on one of the airfields out here (thank you Army!) and it is extremely grippy. When your tires bite out here, they bite HARD. I saw a guy in a brand new RSX chunk his tires after 2 months (about 8-9 runs each being about 50 secs). So I don't know what to make of the whole pressure thing. I was supposed to run up in ATL this last weekend but the event was cancelled because of the Nats going on. I just need to get somewhere else and see how I do against other competition. It sounds cocky, but the truth is, I am tired of winning. Does anyone else have this problem.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:21 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I run 38 at each wheel on the street and my car handles much better. When it was down at 30 or 32 it handled like ass. So tire pressure does matter a lot.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:23 PM
D16ROCKET

What tires/size are you running?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:02 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by D16ROCKET
I am tired of winning. Does anyone else have this problem.
nope, never had that problem
Old 09-18-2002, 02:58 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by white_n_slow

nope, never had that problem
Actually I took 1st place at basically all the events but two this year (we had 12 events). So yeah it's time for me to move onto another class
Old 09-18-2002, 04:12 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by D16ROCKET
I am tired of winning. Does anyone else have this problem.
That's one of the reason's I'm doing more with my car and less with my karts at the moment, in the past 18 races, I've won 15 and taken 3 2nd's, and that's in the fastest non-shifter class [2-cycle], with me running my plain ole Piston-port 100cc Yamaha against 100cc Reed valve two-strokes on karts with 4 wheel brakes [I just have to be more ballsy and drive in harder with just my rear disc] and a couple of 125cc shifters. Really doesn't make a lot of sense for me to move up to a more powerful engine if I'm already outrunning them, in fact, when I borrow a faster kart, I just lap more people instead of pulling out to a straight-away advantage. I miss the track time, but my car is on it's way to being very, very fun.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:41 AM
D16ROCKET

Isn't that the best part of racing........knowing that it isn't necessarily your car, but the fact that you can drive the frigging rubber off the wheels of your car and out perform machines that technically should be faster than you. Every month I am out there, I get those looks and stares like "how the f--k does he do that?" I love kicking 300 b.h.p. all wheel drive ass in my 118 w.h.p. FF Civic, (Granted that particular car weighs close to 2 tons) or out lapping Si's which are in my class by a good 4-6 secs on a 48(me) to 54(them) second lap.

Quick Reply: Tire pressures