Notices

Replacing Rotors on a 1996 Honda Accord LX

Old 02-12-2006, 11:47 AM
koolkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Rotors on a 1996 Honda Accord LX

I'm in need of help. I have a 1996 Accord LX with damaged brake rotors. I tried removing the four screws holding the hub in place and managed to strip three of them, now the heads are round :thinking: (they're in there pretty tight). The only option is to drill them out now I suppose.

As I was doing the work I noticed that the hub appears to be held in place by the axle nut (36mm). I was afraid to go any further since I need the car and thought I was over my head on this.

Can anyone help this newbie with information on what it takes to replace these rotors? Should I spring the extra $150 dollars for the hub rather than try to separate them. And if I do, what about that 36mm nut, how does that come off?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 AM
vtec-y

Default rotors

it sounds like your talking about your front rotors right? to remove the screws id use an impact driver (like a screw driver that you pound with a hammer to make it slowly rotate) since that will not help now. i suppose you could drill them out...personally id try to get it dont professionally at this point (i need my car everyday) if you can let it sit in a garage then the choice is up to you) on my 97 accord the front rotors were hydrolically pressed onto the hub and the wheel bearing needed to be removed to change the rotor. if the bearings are broken and you remove them then you must replace them. if not then your good. that big nut does need to be removed but the rotor is still pressed onto the hub. this is my experience but other people may have found a way around this problem.

sorry i cant be of more help,
--andrew
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM
AcuraFanatic

Need a slide hammer.