Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Koni yellow vs. Koni yellow sp3. Difference in quality?

Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM
supapoopa
Nissan: Shift_Recall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni yellow vs. Koni yellow sp3. Difference in quality?

Been looking for new shocks and am interested in Koni's sp3 version of the traditional yellows. They been very hard to find when asking around for them on the net and was even told by a seller that they no longer carry the sp3's because they are lower quality then the regular yellows. Can anyone confirm this as true, or heard of any issues with the sp3's compared to regular yellows? I was under the impression that they were basicly the same shock, just with a shorter droop and more height adjustment.

thx.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I have the Koni SPSS3s on my 1991 Civic Si and they rock. Don't know who you heard that from. They are a shorter shaft so you can lower the car wihtout worrying about bottoming out the shock. The ride is of course much stiffer since it's valved stiffer.

http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com
Old 02-06-2006, 06:42 PM
supapoopa

Thanks again for the quick responce CivicSIRacer.

I was actually interested in the Neuspeed edition koni yellow SP3 shocks which are valved exactlly like ots koni yellows. The only difference that i have read about is that they have a shorter droop and 5 step levels of height adjustment instead of the 3 on regular yellows.

SPSS3's are a little out of my price range and a little more then i need. thanks tho.

Last edited by supapoopa; 02-06-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

The SP3 Koni's are of the same quality as the standard Yellows, they just take the standard yellows and modify them which what you said above. They will still carry the same lifetime warranty that all Koni's do.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:00 PM
supapoopa

Thanks for the help. It seems that the seller was just trying to get me to settle for the regular yellows by talking out his bum about the sp3's.

Another seller has already contacted me about the sp3's, so it looks like I'll be getting them soon.

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:42 AM
supapoopa

Ordered yesturday. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:15 AM
supapoopa

Had them on for a week now and its increadible how much better they are over my old AGX set (w/ pro kit).

Just had one last question, when i adjust the shocks to full stiff the ride is still remarkably good (w/ h&R sport). Is this normal? Someone else that had yellows told me that full stiff was a back breaker but they still feel on the soft side to me. Is it because the shocks only adjust for rebound that I am getting a false sense that they are soft?

Either way, The ride is freaking increadible.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Probably because you are on lowering springs and not coilovers. World of difference in ride quality.