Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2v vs 4v preouts

Old 01-31-2006, 02:46 PM
kento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2v vs 4v preouts

what's difference does it make if your head unit has 2v or 4v pre out? i am planning on going to a 4ch amp for the interior speakers, and a bridged 2ch amp for the sub, but will the 4v preouts make a big difference or not?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

yes. for the most part, the more signal you give the amp, the easier it is for the amp to produce power... you'll also cut down on interference (noise, etc.)
Old 02-01-2006, 06:26 AM
rcurley55

Certainly, it's always nice to have some extra voltage, but I don't really think it's going to make a drastic difference - so long as you have good amplifiers you should be fine. You will have to crack the gains a bit more for the amp to make power, but, with a good install, you should be pretty noise free.

If you feel like you need stronger oput and you already have the headunit, you can always pick up a line driver and up the voltage.

Virtually all of Alpine's 06 line is going to be 2V, so if you like Alpine's, you had better get used to it
Old 02-01-2006, 01:44 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by rcurley55
Virtually all of Alpine's 06 line is going to be 2V, so if you like Alpine's, you had better get used to it
That sucks, my Kenwood is 5V with the option to turn the amp off to furthur enhance the sub output.