Notices

do cam gears make a big difference or not?

Old 01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
bambbrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njblacksol
so if I were starting right now....to build a sohc monster.... where would i start....like wat performance parts would u buy first????
what motor?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by njblacksol
so if I were starting right now....to build a sohc monster.... where would i start....like wat performance parts would u buy first????
first performance part I would buy would be a B series.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:43 PM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

An Adjustable Cam Gear, won't do anything noticeable on an D16Y8 unless you have a stage 2 cam from Zex, Crower, Crane... with a higher power band so you can adjust the cam to a more useable range. You need to get more air+fuel in and more exhaust out just so the cam works, and there's some people who change cams and use them with the wrong valve springs. So something with an VAFC2 or EMS, with a good catback exhaust, header, intake, intake manifold and high compression valves would see good use of a cam gear on an SOHC. If your car is stock...the cam gear weighs less than the stock one, but you wouldn't see a difference in power.

You'll need to dyno tune this to put some power to the ground.

Last edited by InfiniteVTec; 01-28-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:19 PM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

on a DOHC engine you expect bigger gains as you can adjust intake and exhaust seperately, but you need more caution or you'll strike valves with pistons and other issues.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
monicle
Repo.Jackmoves.Com

on my turbo b18c i saw a 7hp gain to the wheels with the camgears correctly adjusted. so you can expect to see alot less than that.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
waaBAAH

what is the point with a cam gear on a single cam motor. you can just adjust your distrubutor. sure you get more adjustment method out of an adjustable cam gear but have you ever tried turning your dizzy? to much and it feels slow...to much the opposite way and it knocks. so what is the point of going further then factory settings allow since the motor doesnt like either advanced or retard in great amounts.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:13 PM
bambbrose

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
what is the point with a cam gear on a single cam motor. you can just adjust your distrubutor. sure you get more adjustment method out of an adjustable cam gear but have you ever tried turning your dizzy? to much and it feels slow...to much the opposite way and it knocks. so what is the point of going further then factory settings allow since the motor doesnt like either advanced or retard in great amounts.

you sir have ignition timing and mechanical timing mixed up. YOu think they are one and the same. They are not
Old 01-30-2006, 11:02 PM
waaBAAH

you are right.....thanks for clearing that up....now put in your k20!!!! stop searching forums and do some work. just kidding
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 PM
bambbrose

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
you are right.....thanks for clearing that up....now put in your k20!!!! stop searching forums and do some work. just kidding
haha I'm working on it. Waiting for those damn tax returns. filed them this week

just for future searchers who read this thread.

mechanical timing, the type adjusted with cam gears, is the timing of the valves opening in relation to when the piston is at top dead center.

Ignition timing, the type adjusted with the distributor, is the timing of the spark in relation to when the piston is at top dead center.

SO when you set your ignition timing at 16 degrees, you are making the spark light when the crankshaft is 16 degrees from pushing the piston in the number one cylinder to top dead center.

Mechanical= valves

Ignition = sparks

Last edited by bambbrose; 01-30-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 AM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

Cam Gears make a big difference... a 2 degree adjustment which is 1 mark on the AEM cam gear, net me 15-17ft/lbs torque gains from 2-4,500rpm.