Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Fact check: Are American cars really that bad?

Old 01-28-2006, 08:01 PM
worm696

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
:werd:

i don't trust anything made by dodge.
Anyone I know who has owned a Dodge has had major trouble with it.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:25 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by hitman619
Bought it with 22,000 miles no probs till i hit 60,000 then all hell broke loose. goggle all the problems one day found a bunch message boards of people with durangos with the same problems... They even have a web site dodge durangos suck.com all most everybody had the exact same problems if not worse.. also have too worry about defective oil pumps in those years also all though mine seem to be ok dodge apparently knows about these problems but won't acknowledge Them....
i should have cut the 1st part out...i was referring to the mustang as you said you owned it for only 6 months and mustangs are known to being abused - kinda like civic si's
Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by jaje
i should have cut the 1st part out...i was referring to the mustang as you said you owned it for only 6 months and mustangs are known to being abused - kinda like civic si's
And Integra GS-R's and Preludes and...list goes on
Old 01-29-2006, 05:30 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I was abused, once................ ................... ...................... ................... .................... ................. ................ .................. ..................... .................... ....................... ........................ .............

Sorry. :uhhok:

Last edited by bluetwo; 01-29-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:49 AM
ItsaHonda

I've owned several domestics, They've all been fine mechanically, except for one (95 Firebird). Interior ergonomics/materials were cheesy and build quality was terrible... but they were reliable nonetheless and I could depend on them. The most reliable was probably my Mercury Cougar. Loved it, and would buy another. To answer the question, no, I don't believe American cars are as bad (reliability wise) as everyone makes them out to be. Heck, through the 80's we had some real junk boxes, but even they didn't break-down everywhere or as much as people think they did. My parents had an 84 Cadillac Coupe De Ville w/ the infamous HT4100 (The engine that even warranty companies won't cover!) It broke down on us, but not until it was almost 10 years old and had 150k miles. Prior to that, we traveled in it a-lot. It was a great highway cruiser, and always got us where we were going during it's prime years. The last time it broke (which was in 1995, so it was 11 years old) it was the timing chain. They decided to dump it, but the engine was still good. I'm sure after a new chain.. it still ran good for a little while longer.

Sure, there are a lot of American cars I wouln't touch w/ a 10ft pole... but on the same token, there are many I would buy in a heartbeat. Everyone is quick is groupe all American cars together as one, when each one is quite different. I wouldn't go near a Taurus, but I'd buy a Crown Vic, Town Car, Grand Marquis, etc. no problem.

Last edited by ItsaHonda; 01-29-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:22 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I had a Ford Probe back in like 95. The engine was pretty good in it but the rest of the car was like a big drawn out beer dookie.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by bluetwo
I had a Ford Probe back in like 95. The engine was pretty good in it but the rest of the car was like a big drawn out beer dookie.
:chuckles: Best analogy ever.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:32 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

American car quality and reliability has gotten better through the years, but they've still only maintained the status quo... Japanese cars are still better.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:41 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been a huge fan of domestics. But I don't hate them. I can respect a few of the cars they have out. I like the Covette, Explorer, Ranger, Escape, Fusion, Suburban, Colorado, among others.

I think the biggest thing that I dislike about most american cars is that they just feel so cheap on the inside. I'm so used to seeing the cheapest materials on the inside that I just get turned off by the cars in general.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:01 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by RB
I've never been a huge fan of domestics. But I don't hate them. I can respect a few of the cars they have out. I like the Covette, Explorer, Ranger, Escape, Fusion, Suburban, Colorado, among others.

I think the biggest thing that I dislike about most american cars is that they just feel so cheap on the inside. I'm so used to seeing the cheapest materials on the inside that I just get turned off by the cars in general.
The Colorado is a pile of crap.