Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Achieving brighter sound

Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
kobu84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Achieving brighter sound

Hi, I just bought a pair of Boston Acoustics S60 coaxial speakers for the 01 Accord front. It is a great improvement in terms of clarity. But when comparing to my stock speakers, the Boston seems a little duller. I just like the brighter (louder mids-high) sound from the stock. The Boston (35W RMS) are powered by an amp, and I also added a few pieces of dynamat around the speakers. I still have no idea how to get a bright sound.

Is there a specific rule when setting up an amp or a Pioneer deck to get this sound? I have been playing with them so much, but I dont think I am close to getting the sound I want.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
b00gers

When you are dealing with the higher frequencies, like those played through the tweets, IMAGING is the key. Since you have the coaxs, imaging the tweets might be a little difficult.

I assume that your stock tweets are off now and that the coaxs are on the bottom of the door aiming straight across parallel to the floor and roof?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:47 PM
kobu84

Yes, the coax speakers (2-way) are installed in the stock position of the door. This is parallel with the floor and the roof toward the other side of the car.

I did not do anything to the stock tweeters (on the front dash). Should they be removed? I used stock wiring to connect the new speakers to the amps.

Does using the stock wiring makes the stock tweeters still in use? Perhaps this cancels out the high-frequency making less brighter sound than I want...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 PM
b00gers

Hmm.

How did you dial in the amp? How did you use the stock wiring to connect it to an amp? Where is the amp located?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
kobu84

What I did was cut the wires behind the head unit. I tied Front Left with Rear Left...Front Right with Rear Right. This means I can cut the Rear speaker wires and use these wires to connect to the amp (in the trunk). Then wired the Rear speakers to the amp too. Basically like this:

Front Right --><-- Rear Right --><-- Amp Front Right
Front Left --><-- Rear Left --><-- Amp Front Left

By doing this, and not removing the stock tweeters which was originally connected to the front speakers (with a capacitor as a crossover), the stock tweeters are still in the system. Is this correct?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:23 PM
smokealot

maybe it souds only so good because now you have 2 good bostons with the stock tweeters. maybe if you changed them to aftermarket tweeters that will greaten the sound quality all around in the car.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 PM
kobu84

The Boston S65 is 2-way coaxial. It also uses Soft-Dome tweeters (which maybe the the cause for lack of brightness). It produces great mids for me...

Could I disable the tweeters and wire it to titanium tweeters (most brightness) using a crossover?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:26 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

are you using a 4 channel amp?

Try disconnecting the dash tweeters, as you may be getting some cancelation... doing this will either prove or rule this out.

The stock door speakers did not have tweeters... possibly had "whizzer cones" for extra highs... these speakers had greater dispersion where the tweeters of the new bostons have more directed high frequencies. The fact that they're pointed right at your legs is not helping you.

Next, I suggest is moving your new bostons to the rear and get a component set for the front... you say you like brightness, so Infinity and MB Quart come to mind... their tweeters tend to be very bright. Its best to keep the tweeters fairly close to the mids, but I have had good results putting the new tweeters in the dash in Hondas.