Notices

Bottom end vs. top end?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:41 AM
Ninj4r
Acura Nubbins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom end vs. top end?

Hey guyssss, been a while since I've had a chance to drop in..
busy busy lately.

The question I have for you today, is could someone just jot out a quick list of parts considered bottom end, and top end, and possibly advantages of the parts for a little reference?

Thankkkkks as always.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:51 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Top end: head, cams, cam gears, valves, springs, retainers.
Bottom end: rods, crankshaft, pistons and I am sure I am leaving some shit out.
Advantages: stronger build, able to take more punishment, higher compression in some cases, more hp ultimately.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:22 AM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

Bottom End Harder To Do?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

they are both difficult... it's very possible that a minor detail could destroy the whole engine, if anything i would say the block (bottom end) is harder to work on b/c of the space constraints... it's not like you can unbolt it and just yank it out as easy as you could the head (top end)
Old 01-17-2006, 04:50 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

The wise old motor-building aphorism goes: "Power is found in the head, reliability in the block."

In other words, for a given method of tuning (N/A, nitrous, forced induction) modifications to the bottom end are generally made to increase the durability of the block and reciprocating assembly. Power production OTOH, comes from modifications to the cylinder head and valvetrain.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

bottom end:
pistons<high compression for NA, low comp for FI>
rods
sleeved<FI>
balanced rotating assembly

when it comes to block work the only thing that really is going to alter your power is what u do with the pistons. that and obviously a fresher motor is usually stronger.

top end:
port and polish <different levels, different prices, different gains>
cams
cam gears
upgraded valvetrain<retainers, springs, valves>

different cams have different grinds as to change what rpm ranges they make the most power in, gears are basically only useful in quickly adjusting timing(great for tuning), port and polish jobs allow for better flow and generally do increase your power output. an upgraded valvetrain in conjunction with upgraded rods will safely allow u to increase ur rev limit, and also obviously improve your power.

if you are trying to decide what to do next with your car first decide if you plan on going FI or NA, if you want to go FI and really want some major boost do your block work, dont worry about the top end till later