Notices

valve seal help

Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
hachacker5024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve seal help

hey im about to do my valve seals any one here ever done this job or have someone else do it
Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
EgRocker
brain fart

if your just taking out the valve head cover it's vary simple. i didn't replace any thing but added a little honda bond to make sure there are no leaks on the rubber seals.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by EgRocker
if your just taking out the valve head cover it's vary simple. i didn't replace any thing but added a little honda bond to make sure there are no leaks on the rubber seals.
No, he is talking about pulling the valve springs off and replacing the valve guide seal.

I have the seals in my garage, but I haven't gotten around to doing it. I don't know if the seal puller and installer is necessary, but if you can get the springs off and on, I am sure you can pull them out with pliers or something. Just make sure that you compress the cylinder that you are working on to prevent a dropped valve.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Patman015
Gold Member

you kno its funny that u guys mention this NOW because JUST LAST NITE i was reading about replacing the valve seals in my Helms manual. Isnt that something?? To tell you the truth it makes me a lil scared to even touch the damn things, but i think ill make a weekend project outta it.

for some reason it lists all these special tools n stuff, so i dunno...wheres the best place to get them seals at anyhow? and uh...compressing the cylinder that i am working on? huh???
Old 01-05-2006, 05:24 PM
hachacker5024

i got mine at NAPA a froend of mine works there

$$DISCOUNT$$
Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
hachacker5024

do u guys know what a mechanic might charge and i know what u mean PATMAN i was reading a manual and theres alot of tools shown but i have a valve spring compressor and a air adapter for the cylinder alreayd i think i can do it with just that if not im off to the auto store
Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
hachacker5024

PATMAN do u think that you could photocopy the instructions manual on how to do the valve seals if so that would be great
Old 01-05-2006, 06:24 PM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by Patman015
and uh...compressing the cylinder that i am working on? huh???
He means turn the crank so piston is all the way up in the cylinder. Another method to prevent things from falling into the cylinder is to remove a spark plug and stuff a rope into the cylinder. Just make sure you leave some extra so you can pull it out.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Patman015
you kno its funny that u guys mention this NOW because JUST LAST NITE i was reading about replacing the valve seals in my Helms manual. Isnt that something?? To tell you the truth it makes me a lil scared to even touch the damn things, but i think ill make a weekend project outta it.

for some reason it lists all these special tools n stuff, so i dunno...wheres the best place to get them seals at anyhow? and uh...compressing the cylinder that i am working on? huh???
I have the compressor and air fitting too, so I am guessing that just a set of pliers will yank those bad boys out. I got the seals from ebay. You can also find them on www.inlinefour.com or the dealership.

To compress the cylinder, I wouldn't recommend just putting the piston at TDC. I would do that, plus using the air fitting to compress the cylinder to 50 psi+ to keep the valve seated while working.