Notices

Engine mods

Old 01-05-2006, 02:31 PM
tRyFfLiN
Ci\/iCs Suk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mods

aye, I was hopin someone knew what kind of mods I can get for my acura. Its a 91 integra. Im installing a coolin system and I want to know what else is there to install to improve performance. Any help?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:32 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

toda race engine...
Old 01-05-2006, 02:34 PM
tRyFfLiN
Ci\/iCs Suk

how much do those usually run and where can i get em
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

http://www.todaracing.com/topics/race_engines_02.html

rough estimate is about $30,000 tuned and shipped to your door.... not including tranny, ECU, or ANYTHING else you may need... good luck :thumbup:

edit: they wont sell it to you unless you have proof of a racing team or something of that sort...they've gotten very strict about it recently
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

nah man im just messing with ya...where do you want to go with your car... n/a or do you plan to turbo soon... how much power are you looking to pull out of it... track/street? track only? street only? it all depends when your doing your first mods
Old 01-06-2006, 11:34 AM
tRyFfLiN
Ci\/iCs Suk

im not on a racin team or nuttin, i just want my shyt to smash out when i want to. i mean it does it now, i have a 91 integra LS, but i wanna go faster basically
Old 01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

smash out?
Id go turbo, as I. Theres more to it then just doing it. Lotta research but should be good. You could always just go NA and build it
Old 01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by tRyFfLiN
im not on a racin team or nuttin, i just want my shyt to smash out when i want to. i mean it does it now, i have a 91 integra LS, but i wanna go faster basically
First off, welcome to HAN.
Secondly, you sound young...say about 17 or 18?
Thirdly, can we both agree to use real english, not thug-speak?

Okay, with that those issues out of the way... I can help you with your problem.

Originally Posted by rugsr
Id go turbo, as I. Theres more to it then just doing it. Lotta research but should be good. You could always just go NA and build it
There are a couple of problems with turbocharging, since you're in California (as am I).
* Your 1991 Integra is a pollution-controlled vehicle and it requires a smog-check every two years.
* Furthermore, because your car has to pass smog, you need a CARB-certified turbo kit in order to pass the visual inspection.
* As far as I know, there are no CARB-certified turbo kits for the 1991 Integra.

The only smog-legal form of forced induction for your model year Integra is the Jackson Racing Supercharger. The hp gain isn't as great as a turbocharger (expect rougly 35hp & 40 ft/lb torque), and the system costs about $2500. You'd have to run premium fuel only as well.

Building a naturally aspirated B18A1 (that's the engine code for your motor) isn't going to get you very far. A quality exhaust system, CARB-legal header and intake will cost about $1100 new and produce about 10 hp & 8-12 ft lbs of torque. And while you can certainly upgrade the cylinder head with hotter cams, valvesprings & retainers, you run the risk of failing the visual or quantitative emissions inspection.

[/b]The most cost-efficient way to increase horsepower & torque would be to install a nitrous oxide injection system.[/b] Zex makes a very nice kit that uses the factory fuel injectors to supply additional fuel when the nitrous is flowing. The only downside of a properly installed and used nitrous oxide system is the cost of refilling the nitrous tank. NO2 currently sells for about $4.00/lb and most kits come with a 10 lb. bottle. In this case, the intake, exhaust system and header would be beneficial upgrades as well. Assuming your motor is in good shape (there are a few tests to confirm this) and you don't mind the cost of nitrous refills, you could have yourself a nice setup for about $1500-$1800 in parts (and about $300 in labor, unless you can handle the clutch upgrade on your own)..

So, those are a few options to consider... think about your budget and let us know what sounds good to you...

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 01-06-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:04 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

good job dave, very thorough, and i wanted to ask you...would my 3rd gen LS supercharger system fit his 2nd gen? i know the engines are very close to the same thing...im just not sure if the bolt pattern or the stock boost level is safe on his setup
Old 01-06-2006, 04:18 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by tegbooster
good job dave, very thorough, and i wanted to ask you...would my 3rd gen LS supercharger system fit his 2nd gen? i know the engines are very close to the same thing...im just not sure if the bolt pattern or the stock boost level is safe on his setup
It's all in the bolt pattern for the intake manifold... and to be frank, I do not know if the B18B1 and A1 heads share the same layout.

The major differences between the B18A1 & B1 were in the head. Cams had longer endurance and I believe slightly higher lift, and the valve-stems were slightly narrower, increasing port flow. The JRSC is limited to about 7psi on the stock pulleys of a B18B1, so assuming the pulley ratio and the manifold bolt patterns are identical, there's no reason why your third gen kit wouldn't work on his B18A1.

There is one legal concern, however. The CARB Exemption Order #s may be different between the B18B1 and B18A1 kits. Check with CARB at http://arb.ca.gov/ . They have an internet database that allows you to search by part or by manufacturer. If the CARB EO # for your B18B1 JRSC includes the 1991 model year, then there should be no problem with the visual inspection assuming all the emission components are re-installed correctly after the JRSC goes in.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!