Notices

Wheel question

Old 01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
androoloo
androoloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel question

So I have a nearly stock 1997 LS and I am looking to upgrade my tires and steelies. I have a friend who wants to get rid of his 17" wheels with 215/40/17 tires (great condition). He use to have the wheels on his 1995 Golf (4 lug). He is asking $500, and I was hoping to get them for around $300-$400. I can't remember what brand the tires were, but they are better than what I am on right now. Also, the rims are some weird brand called "Amp," definately not my first choice, but I figured they would be better than what I am on now.

I don't race my car and the upgrade is pretty much cosmetic (I don't want to look at plastic wheel covers anymore). My car is not lowered, so I was alittle concerned about it looking funny (mind you, I can live with the size of the current wheel gap & plan to lower it modestly this summer). It does not sound like I will have any rubbing problems, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am also getting around 30mpg on my stock tires, I know the new ones will cause that to go down, but any guesses by how much?

I just thought this could be a cheap way of getting better wheels and tires on my car without dropping ~$900. Sorry about the long question, but I know you guys prefer more info rather than less when giving advice. I was wondering what you guys think.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

it seems like it would work for you....most of what your gunna hear on the forums is that 16's are better...but in your situation....it's what YOU really want...like you said "im the one that has to look at it" so your the one that should choose what goes on it... i would suggest doing your best to find a used (but good condition) set of rims in the classifieds or something before you buy an off brand...but if you like the way they look...what tires r on there as well? it seems like it could work...your gas mileage will go down....but not more than ~2-5mpg, so it's basically not enough to matter...the gap will look kinda disgusting...but you could always buy now...and not put em on until you get a set of springs/shocks
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Patman015
Gold Member

Originally Posted by androoloo
So I have a nearly stock 1997 LS and I am looking to upgrade my tires and steelies. I have a friend who wants to get rid of his 17" wheels with 215/40/17 tires (great condition).

Im not sure, but the Golf might have a different 4-lug pattern than an Integra, make sure they're 4x100