Notices

'98 LS Automatic: Project Fuel Economy

Old 01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
rh77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 LS Automatic: Project Fuel Economy

Hey all

The latest goal of the mods with my Integra have been strictly for fuel economy. The exhaust system needs replaced (I'm leaving the header and cat) -- but I can't find hard evidence of increasing/decreasing the diameter of the piping, or if a free-flow muffler will drop the backpressure, and then torque drops, etc. I'm afraid to change the stock setup for fear of losing gas mileage.

Is there anyone with some scientific input on exhaust choices and fuel economy?

RH77
Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 PM
rh77

Default Any ideas?

I'm told that Honda engines thrive on backpressure to maintain their economy. Any ideas, experiences, advice???
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

You drive an automatic dude, that is as economical as it gets. Replacing your exhaust w/an OEM replacement is your best bet for economy. When you ad an exhaust you tend to give it more gas cause you like the noise or what little gain it has added HP wise, thus reducing your fuel economy.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

^ yup... your car is not worth it...i was thinking that this is a perfect post for dave to chime in on... but after i read it was automatic i dont think he'll bother... just get the OEM replacement

if you want better gas mileage get a drop in K&N air filter you'll get an extra few miles with just that
Old 01-07-2006, 01:39 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find a way to increase your drives

it will be slow as a dog but will yeild the best results. not sure how you can do this on a automatic, but you could always increase your tire size

use a SRI with a k&n cone filter for the intake

on the exhaust:

it's not that you need the backpressure, but exhaust goes in waves (it's alot like clapping into a pipe or something, every time your car does a revolution it has 4 exhaust compression waves) if your piping is too large it wont fill the entire pipe and then it will spread out, and actually some of it will try and get back towards the engine fighting itself on the way out. with an exhaust thats too small the engine have to work to try and get the exhaust out the pipe. stick with stock sized piping. and if you want to go bigger go with a GSR exhaust from a 00-01 GSR i'm pretty sure it should bolt up.