Notices

LS clutch vs GSR clutch

Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 PM
DrOlds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS clutch vs GSR clutch

I recently had the opportunity to drive my LS with basically a new clutch right before a friend's GSR with 160k miles. The GSR clutch took much more effort to press in. Felt like much heavier springs. Does anybody know if the GSR clutch is that much more heavy duty than an Exedy replacement for the LS? Just thought it was odd.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

Unless I'm mistaken, its the same clutch....
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM
DrOlds

That's what I thought. I have a feeling I might be doing another clutch job in the near future. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:24 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'm quite confident that the pressure plate for the GS-R has greater clamping force than the LS pressure plate. The stiffness of the pressure plate springs makes a big difference in how stiff or heavy a clutch feels.

If you're considering using a GSR clutch instead of a proper aftermarket clutch for your built LS, my advice would be to skip the GSR clutch altogether. The GSR clutch will not be as durable as a medium-duty aftermarket clutch & pressure plate.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
I'm quite confident that the pressure plate for the GS-R has greater clamping force than the LS pressure plate. The stiffness of the pressure plate springs makes a big difference in how stiff or heavy a clutch feels.

If you're considering using a GSR clutch instead of a proper aftermarket clutch for your built LS, my advice would be to skip the GSR clutch altogether. The GSR clutch will not be as durable as a medium-duty aftermarket clutch & pressure plate.

oops... guess I was mistaken... sorry h:
Old 12-31-2005, 03:41 AM
DrOlds

Thanks for the info guys. I just put the stock clutch into the stock LS which is going to go away soon i hope. The GSR still shifts fine, but I wanted to make sure I was looking at it correctly to determine that!

merry new years!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Exadar
oops... guess I was mistaken... sorry h:
Bah, no need to apologize... I still need to confirm my educated guess. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 12-31-2005, 02:14 PM
dubcac
I

I don't think there's a difference between LS and GSR clutches in terms of clamping force. If there is a difference, it's so slight that I can't tell when driving a GSR. I know that the ITR has a slighty higher clamping force.