Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Unlocking RSX radio when code fails?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
jgamer713

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlocking RSX radio when code fails?

Hi everyone, I know the "my radio is locked - help!!" issue has been dealt with ad naseum, but after doing my research on forums to try to not re-ask a question, I think this is a new spin on the problem:

I own a 2003 RSX (base, MT) that I purchased from a private party a year ago. They did not provide the radio code when vehicle was purchased. My battery died recently and the radio unit locked up. I extracted the serial number by turning on the unit while holding presets 1 and 6, called the local dealer and they gave me the five-digit radio code. I entered it, and received the same error message I was getting by guessing randomly at the code.

I have repeated the charade with the dealer a few more times to be sure, unfortunately getting the same five-digit code and same result each time. I have also checked the glove box, the cup holders, the ash tray, etc for the code: none have any. The fuse box cover in the engine bay had a five-digit number, but it too resulted in an error message. Finally, just two days ago I had the dealer pull the unit out to see if a different serial number could be gleaned, but no luck. Is there a special way the code must be entered - multiple times or does a certain amount of time have to pass after entering where the radio just sits powered on? I'm out of ideas at this point.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:51 PM
VPUPPY

Whats does the radio say when you turn it on right now? Does it say locked or does it ask for the code?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:25 AM
digitalmethods

I am experiencing the same problem with my Civic. I had to pull out the radio and get the serial # off of the back of the unit. I then called the dealership and they gave me the radio code. Next I disconnect the battery. I usually hold the brake for a sec to drain the systems power completely. Then reconnect the battery. Turn your car on and try to turn on your stereo. It shoudl say COdE. I enter the 5 digit code and it says error 1 then I do it again and get error 2 then 3 etc... until 10. After 10 tries it locks back up and I have to reset the power source again. I'm close but I can't seem to get it. I'm currently in the process of just buying one so because the dealer wants $90 to enter the code.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 PM
jgamer713

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
Whats does the radio say when you turn it on right now? Does it say locked or does it ask for the code?

VPUPPY - just like digitalmethods, my radio says "code" when I turn it on right now. After entering the code, it flashes err1, then err2 (after a second try), or err3, etc until I've tried ten times. After ten it locks up for a few hours (or until the fuse is pulled to reset).

Originally Posted by digitalmethods
I am experiencing the same problem with my Civic. I had to pull out the radio and get the serial # off of the back of the unit. I then called the dealership and they gave me the radio code. [...] I'm currently in the process of just buying one so because the dealer wants $90 to enter the code.
digitalmethods - yeah exactly - I can't understand what the difficulty is since we both have acquired the serial number off the back of the radio.

Last edited by jgamer713; 01-01-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:12 AM
digitalmethods

I am not trying got knock any of the "Honda Guys" out there but this is a new area for me. I am having some issues with what seems to be a very simple problem. There is no one that can answer either my or my friends question on here? I personally own a WRX and have it modded out to hell and I love to use forums because they are filled with lots of different perspectives. I haven't even heard any guesses on here as to what it could be. I am just getting frustrated that I can't seem to unlock a stereo but I can completely hod rod another vehicle. I do all of my own work on all of my cars. This is my girlfriends car and I just wan't to fix this little problem. Is there anyone that even has an opinion, or even to ask a question to further analyize where I'm going wrong. C'mon this is just getting silly and old. I have done endless searching and I can't pinpoint the grey area. Can someone with any ideas please step up to the plate?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
TSM

You brought it to the dealer and they didnt det the code to work after they disconected it . If the radio says error on the screen you entered the wrong code to many times and it went into lock out mode you need to disconect the battery and turn the ingtion to the on positon trurn it off wait 5min reconnect the battery turn the radio on it should say CODE on the screen then put in the code it should work.

If that dosent work make sure the radio says CODE and disconect the antenna wire from the back of the radio ( you may have to pull the radio) leave all other connectors in place and try the code again

If you live in New York call me I own my own repair shop 516-385-6401
Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 AM
digitalmethods

Disconnect the antenna huh. Hmmm I'll try it. I hope that is the trick. If it is I will owe you a huge THANKS. I'll check it out next chance I get.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:09 AM
TSM

I dont know why it work but it does on 3.2TL so try it let me know what happens By the way just turn the key on dont start the car
Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 AM
digitalmethods

I figured it out. I bought a new one and wired that up instead. Next time I need to change my battery I won't have to worry about it. I knew of all the steps and tried all of the tricks but I couldn't do it. I'm probably looking to get flamed on this post but you could have been my guest if you had an idea that I didn't try.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh, sometimes things just fail like that. at least in your honda it's the radio and not the transmission