Notices

B-series Transmission Question

Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-series Transmission Question

Will a '90 LS cable tranny bolt right up to a newer '94+ LS motor? I assume it would, but want to ask just to make sure.

In addition to that, Quaife makes an LSD for the LS. Their application chart says '90-00 GS/LS. By looking at Quaife's chart it would seem the same part is designated to work whether it's a hydro or a cable tranny. Has anyone ever installed one on their cable tranny?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2005, 05:25 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

a 90 cable tranny will bolt up to a 94 LS motor, i have a 96 LS motor and im putting a 91 LS cable tranny on it. What year car is it going on?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Brar
|:]

im going to assume a G3 teg.
1. yes it will fit the engine, all bseries trannys r interchangable
2. it will NOT fit the chasis, the G3 chasis is equiped with Hydro tranny stuff (cylinders ect). so u can put it in...but it wont work.
3. if its going into a G2 or any other car with cable tranny stuff, everything is fine
Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by teg92
a 90 cable tranny will bolt up to a 94 LS motor, i have a 96 LS motor and im putting a 91 LS cable tranny on it. What year car is it going on?
An EF8 chassis; my 89 CRX Si. Eventually I'm looking to do an LS swap and stay cable tranny. I figure it's a better decision to do on my car, rather than going hydro tranny.

Any experience out there on a Quaife LSD installed on an LS cable tranny?

Thanks guys
Old 12-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Brar

i think the 89 crx is cable tranny stuff in the chasis...its about 400 i believe for the cable->hydro conversion...not worth it im my opinion.
where r u getting the engine from? hmotorsonline has a LS block for 700, but i dunno if u need everything (ecu, ect) so u might wanna go with the complete change over (check for the price, i forgot), then sell that hydro tranny it comes with and get a cable. unless u wanna get the cable->hyrdo
Old 12-24-2005, 02:36 PM
dubcac
I

It will bolt right up, and since your car is cable to begin with, it'll be fine. As for the LSD, I'm not sure. I would think the LSD would be different hydro vs cable. You could look for a JDM B16/GSR cable tranny with LSD.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Brar

dubcac, a YS1 tranny w/LSD is SOOOOOO RARE now days
Old 12-24-2005, 07:05 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by [Damnit]
where r u getting the engine from? hmotorsonline has a LS block for 700, but i dunno if u need everything
I'm looking locally, cause I'm willing to pickup everything rather than pay shipping. Yeah, I do need everything (ECU, axles, motor, tranny, harness-preOBD to OBD1, etc.).

Originally Posted by dubcac
It will bolt right up, and since your car is cable to begin with, it'll be fine. As for the LSD, I'm not sure. I would think the LSD would be different hydro vs cable. You could look for a JDM B16/GSR cable tranny with LSD.
Yeah, since my car is cable anyway I figured that would be the best route to go. As far as the LSD is concerned, on the Quaife America site their A.T.B. Differential application list shows the same part# for Honda - Civic / Del Sol VTEC dohc, Integra GS/LS '90-00, Integra GS-R '92-93. Since those cable tranny's that came stock with LSD are hard to find, this is my choice for budget and simplicity. Besides, it was recommended to me that I stick with the LS gearing if I'm going to go Turbo later.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Brar

y LS gearing with boost? LS has slower acceleration but with higher top speed and the GSR tranny is faster acceleration but lower top speed (me thinks)
Old 12-24-2005, 07:53 PM
dubcac
I

People like to use the LS gearing in turbo applications for better traction due to longer gears, and longer gears mean you stay in full boost longer. I'd go personally with a GSR tranny, but a cable GSR is hard to find.