Notices

First DIY - brake pad and rotor replacement

Old 12-22-2005, 10:53 AM
aldgator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DIY - brake pad and rotor replacement

I am about to undertake my first major DIY on my '98 Integra GS, which is to replace my brake pads and rotors and would like suggestions on what products to purchase to clean the calipers. Also, is there a particular brand/type of grease that's best for the pad shims? Molykote M77 is what the Helms manual suggests. I'll get that unless there's a good reason to get something else. Also, what can I use to help remove the problematic Philips head screws that secure the rotors? I'll be using an impact driver, but is there any other tool or lubricant that may be useful? Finally, is there any other preventive maintenance that I can perform while I do this brake job?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:41 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

i was able to get off those screws on the rotor w/ just the impact driver... can't help you too much w/ anything else...i did mine but it was a year or so ago don't really member what i used for everything... just make sure you take ur time and you should be alright

good luck!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:47 PM
honura
Seni

Impact driver should be ok. Spray a little wd40 if you want. Just make sure you use the biggest bit you have. Cause if you strip those heaads you will be having to drill those bad boys out. And you will need a 19mm for the wheel,12mm for the caliper's, 17mm for the bracket that holds the caliper, a c clamp to push the piston back in. And I think that's about it. If anyone thinks I left something out please feel free to correct me. Goodluck. Ohhh wait those calipers in the back have to be turned counter clockwise while putting it in.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
TegManGS-R
Blake Brown

dont worry in you strip them. you can drill them out without worrying about the rotor you are about to replace. also when you take the rotor off you will have something to grasp with a pair of vices and just unscrew the things.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:13 PM
daschwa

I've done a few pad/rotor changes on tegs and it is very straightforward. An impact should work on those screws but since I didn't have air tools the last time I did the change I used an impact screw driver that I purchased at the auto store for $15. It is a screw driver that you hit with a hammer to provide the inward pressure and torque to release the screws. There is probably a better chance of not stripping them out using this as opposed to an air gun, but you'll probably be fine. I've been using channel locks to push the pistons in. The grease I've been using comes in little packets from advanced auto for $1 and have not had any squeaks at all. The only thing I'd recommend doing is bleeding the old fluid out completely once you are done as brake fluid absorbs moisture over time.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:19 AM
hodwiththestrip
My GS-R

Hey first post here but I would also recommend that you take off / loosen the cap on your brake fluid reservoir while pushing back in the pistons. When you push in the pistons that fluid is getting pushed back into the system and that can build up pressure and pop off the cap on your reservoir, which is why you want to take it off. Like daschwa said bleed the brakes too. Get a bleeder kit and a small bottle of brake fluid while you’re at the store picking up your brakes.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:46 PM
xXkenXx

Originally Posted by aldgator
I am about to undertake my first major DIY on my '98 Integra GS, which is to replace my brake pads and rotors and would like suggestions on what products to purchase to clean the calipers. Also, is there a particular brand/type of grease that's best for the pad shims? Molykote M77 is what the Helms manual suggests. I'll get that unless there's a good reason to get something else. Also, what can I use to help remove the problematic Philips head screws that secure the rotors? I'll be using an impact driver, but is there any other tool or lubricant that may be useful? Finally, is there any other preventive maintenance that I can perform while I do this brake job?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Just spray some brake cleaner on those calipers. As for grease, Black synthetic brake grease is good. The impact driver is the perfect tool for the job. Also clean and lube those caliper guide pins, shims, and clean and lube the hub. And don't bother bleeding it will just lead to possible trouble.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:40 AM
stemyluv69

That all seems right, but whys he bleeding the brakes if he's not pulling off any lines? Thats useless unless you somehow get air in the system
IE taking off the bleed screw, running the MC dry, or having a crack in the boot that surrounds the piston.... which would be a bigger issue lol
Old 12-26-2005, 07:57 PM
ACT I

TAKE YOUR TIME WATCH OUT 2 C IF YOUR CALIPER IS BAD AND DONT DO it at a time where you cant go and get another 1 if one is bad i went to have my brakes changed it happed and was a major set back on xmas eve thank God the old ones went back on O K.