Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2008 Honda Accord talk

Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
AcuraFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochdx
Actually at this point of time Toyota engines have surpassed Honda's, and not so much because Toyota has better engineers, but because Honda failed to make any progress in the last 6-7 years and it's beginning to catch up with them.
You completely baffle me. How have they not made progress? 120HP per liter from a 2.0 liter I-4 on pump gas, in a relatively inexpensive car, with Honda durability? Or how about the substantially revised VTEC, now with infinitely variable cam lobes? Or Honda's hybrid technology?

Last edited by jaje; 02-04-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
dubcac
I

Actually at this point of time Toyota engines have surpassed Honda's, and not so much because Toyota has better engineers, but because Honda failed to make any progress in the last 6-7 years and it's beginning to catch up with them. The new RL and TL are only at the beginning of their cycle, but once the new ES comes out its gonna beat both of them in the performance department, and luxury wise the ES was always ahead.

I predict very slow acura sales in the future unless the TSX gets the turbo 2.3 engine, TL gets upped to current RL engine tuned to 300 sae HP, and the RL gets an optional 4.5 v8 pushing close to 400 hp. And SH-AWD should be made optional across the entire line-up.

I suggest you really look into the Kseries motors, as well as the turbocharged RDX, and honda's hybrid cars. After all, they started the hybrid revolution...now everyone is following suit. Toyota has nothing like the Kseries. You predicting slow Acura sales is ridiculous. Comparing HP numbers over LUXURY cars is ludicrous. Do us all a favor and stop.

Last edited by jaje; 02-04-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:49 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by dubcac
I suggest you really look into the Kseries motors, as well as the turbocharged RDX, and honda's hybrid cars. After all, they started the hybrid revolution...now everyone is following suit. Toyota has nothing like the Kseries. You predicting slow Acura sales is fucking ridiculous. Comparing HP numbers over LUXURY cars is ludicrous. Do us all a favor and stop.
:werd: You could be comparing Kia to Hyundai for all I care, this isn't about being biased anymore, it's about being downright retarded.

And a general FYI, Acura's sales have bettered themselves every year since Honda opened that name segment in 1986. I doubt 20 years of history will fall flat on it's face because "the new Camry has 268HP." :rofl:
Old 02-04-2006, 04:58 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

We aren't going to change Ochdx's little world where Toyota is his little pet girlfriend

To be honest, he's been on HAN for a few years, and I've yet to see him make one favorable remark about Hondas when compared to Toyotas.

As if Hondas are no better than a Yugo.

Last edited by jaje; 02-04-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:51 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by dubcac
I suggest you really look into the Kseries motors, as well as the turbocharged RDX, and honda's hybrid cars. After all, they started the hybrid revolution...now everyone is following suit. Toyota has nothing like the Kseries. You predicting slow Acura sales is ridiculous. Comparing HP numbers over LUXURY cars is ludicrous. Do us all a favor and stop.
Toyota produced the first hybrids (the Prius was sold in Japan) - Honda was the first to sell a hybird in the US (Insight)
Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
mayonaise

Correct, especially if you were to lets say compare a Lotus Elise to a Chevy Suburban. When when you are comparing cars that are in the same class and the same price bracket, generally more horse power = better performance.

Drive the TSX head to head with IS250. Drive the TL head to head with G35 or IS350. Drive Accord head to head with new Avalon. Drive the RL head to head with GS430 or M45 or heck even the M35. You will quickly discover than Hondas have no balls whatsoever.
well, first of all i didn't say mention any specific honda model or engine and i didn't say that it could beat the crap out of any other car or engine. i'm not disputing the fact that many honda have fewer cylinders and less power than their competitors' cars, but the fact remains that there is a lot more to performance than just a horsepower number.

second, have YOU driven each and every one of the cars you listed?

third, i'm willing to bet that a new accord will outhandle a new avalon easily. in a straightline, the accord may lose out. but here in the real world (or at least california.. i don't know where you drive), we don't always drive in straight lines.

why don't you compare the elise to another sports car? sure, it has better performance than a suburban, but that's an extreme. you must not understand the point of the car, if you think comparing it to an SUV is even remotely justified. auto magazines compare it to ferarris, porsches, and other sports cars with twice the hp and price - and there's a damn good reason for that.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AF
Or how about the substantially revised VTEC, now with infinitely variable cam lobes?
Infinitely variable cam timing h: The lobes are still fixed, the camshaft just rotates up to a certain degree to advance or retard timing.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Infinitely variable cam timing h: The lobes are still fixed, the camshaft just rotates up to a certain degree to advance or retard timing.
Yeah I know, I blame Yesterday, 03:33 AM I meant timing.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:59 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Really? Well lets see, the camry is coming out with 268, avalon has been around for over a year with 280, so wont you think the ES will have to up them?
The Avalon had 280 hp under the old ratings. It's now rated at 268 hp just like the RAV4 V6 and upcoming Camry. Pretty much every normally aspirated engine with a high specific output had its horsepower rating go down with the new SAE standards. It wasn't limited to just Honda.

Now listen here. You can talk about how you like Toyota products just fine. But you RRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL YYYYYYYYYYY need to figure out a way to do it without inciting flamewars like this. Your posts aren't flaming in and of themselves but you're making suchbold, ridiculous, overexaggerated claims and statements that people can't help but respond aggressively.

You need to figure out a way to state your opinion without it so obviously begging for replies such as have been posted here. The easiest way to do this is include phrases such as, "I think that...," "in my opinion...," etc. In general this is a way to make bold claims seem more moderate. You could also perhaps consider your opinions themselves and come up with something more reasonable to say about it.

As for the rest of you, since Ochdx has such a long history of posting stuff like this, and you all keep on responding, maybe you should just ignore him. It would be a helluva lot more productive for you all to collectively roll your eyes at him than to engage in actual discussion.

So quite obviously, this thread is now locked.